• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying for MCF @ Oxford / FinM @ LSE / Comp Fin @ UCL with a Computer Science Undergrad background

Hello everyone! I am currently a senior majoring in Computer Science B.S. at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am planning on applying for the programs I have listed in the title in the next application cycle, pursuing my masters degree directly after my undergraduate, and I wanted to inquire about my prospects. From what I have understood these programs tend to prefer mathematics majors or majors with a heavy degree of mathematical courses over the rest. My mathematical background is currently limited to what my degree requires from me. This includes the calculus series, applied linear algebra with computational applications, Numerical Methods, and probability and statistics in Computer Science. However, my statistical concepts are pretty good as I took courses to complete a Data Science certificate and my specialization is in Artificial Intelligence. My internships have also not been in the banking/financial side and have mostly been in a typical software engineer role. I think the three things in my CV that are on track with these programs are that I have a good GPA (3.8+), I have a minor in business with a focus on financial courses and I will be taking a High-Frequency Trading Technology class in my last semester.

I wanted to know with this educational background do I have a realistic chance of getting into these programs right out of college (I know the UCL program will be possible because it focuses more towards a computational background) or if I should first try getting some work experience in the quant/IB sector?

I completed my undergrad in Computer Science with a 2:1 and unfortunately didn't get accepted into the program (UCL Computational Finance). Looking back, I think where I fell short was in crafting a compelling application, as I hadn’t thoroughly researched the application process. From my experience, I strongly suggest reviewing the UCL website to understand exactly what they're looking for in an application. Given your strong GPA, minor in business focusing on financial courses, and your upcoming High-Frequency Trading Technology class, you seem well-prepared. So, if you make sure to tailor your application according to their specific requirements, I believe you stand a good chance of being accepted :)

Back