• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

As a student, Quant vs Soft Enginering ?!?

Hi, I'm a 20 Years old student. I'm from Quebec (In canada) I'm starting university this September and I cant choose beetween going all the way in math to end up as a Quant (There is a master called Mathematical and Computational Finance in University of montreal, I've been told its a fine way to end up as a quant here in quebec with this class) or going to Polytechnique and do my software engineering.

What do you guys think? They both look so fun to me!

Dora F.

I'm pretty good at both, right now my math is much stronger than my programming skill since I've not done a lot of c# ( only 2 class).
Not so sure how to answer this question. I'm good in both field, atleast I like to believe so!

I feel like software engi would be a safer choice, more job opportunity, you can switch "field of work" I could work for game company for 2 years than go do something else...
as if I go deep in math there is still job oportunity if I reallize I dont wana stay quant my whole life..

This is soo tough to choose heh. Nice dillemma are nice

(p.s. thanks for moving it, and sorry for posting in the wrong place)

I think I'll go to software, it look like the work schedule is eazier and that you get more to socialize. The pay is less altough... Thanks for tacking your time to read. If i change my mind i'll come back and let you all know

Yeah, you're right on this one. I'll start my first years of university in math, if I want to switch to engineering I'll have every math class done for my engineering degree. This way I've one more years to think about it!

Why not double in math/cs? It may take you an extra year or year and half but it might be more what you're looking for.

Back