• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"Awkward" situation at work due to my graduate school application...

I have interviewed with a school that I am interested in attending and am currently waiting for their verdict. However, my manager and the director have been trying really hard to persuade me that MFE is not the only way to get to where I wanna be in my career. My manager has been having talks with me almost every other day asking if I will change my mind about going to school. They have also tried to lure me into staying by offering a promotion and a job switch so I can work closely with the financial engineers in my company and maybe get myself an internal transfer in a couple of years through networking...

My question is ... should I email the school that I have had an interview with and push them to give me an answer faster? If that school admits me, I will definitely quit my job and go. My manager knows that too and has been constantly asking if I have heard from the school... However, at the same time, I don't want the school to reject me just because I pushed them...

Are you only applying to this one school? I would stick with your current line of reasoning that attending MFE graduate school will be rewarding and necessary. You might be able to step your way into a quant group; however, the learning curve will be steep and the fundamental knowledge gained from these programs is indispensable. If your boss is adamant about keeping you, then you must be a strong asset to the firm. In this case, if you ever wanted to return to this firm, it shouldn't be a problem.

I would try to maintain this relationship with your boss and not pursue of forced decision with the school unless your situation absolutely demands it.

Best of luck.

Hey man, is the school you are trying to get into have a part time option? If the answer is yes, then given today's job market I would not quit the job but instead study and work for the same time. It could be difficult but definitely manageable (did it myself).

Thank you for your replies, Andy and isomorphism.

My job is ok challenging but I just don't feel like I'm utilizing my strengths to the max in my current job. I work in IT and my group supports capital markets, which means I deal with traders and also b/o people depending on the nature of the project at hand. Although I don't need to code, my programming background is really valuable to my group I think. Also, I've been performing very well and been receiving positive feedback from business stakeholders so they really want to keep me for long term... but the thing is that graduate school, more specifically MFE, has always been the next step in my plan. I am really confident in my quantitative skills and have always wanted to challenge myself more with MFE. I have worked here long enough for me to hone my transferrable skills. There is definitely more to learn but they don’t interest me much. I am still young so I don’t want to just settle down, learn everything about this company which is most likely not gonna be applicable to other companies, and be an expert here forever. I want to explore more career options. Don’t have a fixed goal yet but I know I want to work in a more quantitative role (where my strengths are) in m/o or f/o, kinda like being on the other side of some projects that I've been involved in. Even if there is a possibility that I may end up in a "worse" situation after school, I am willing to take the risk cuz I don't want to regret later for not trying this path. I do plan to keep in touch with my colleagues cuz they are great people and are all very competent.

I'd say go for it. Your group needs you because good support people are valued everywhere. You certainly don't want to stay at one place for emotional reasons. You are young and this is the best time to take risk. You don't want to end up like that 40s year old who can't make a move because he has a family and mortgage to pay.

Who the heck will contribute in the future if posts are being deleted on a whim like this?
The OP is smart enough to use pseudo name so he should be smart enough to present his case vaguely that it can apply to thousands of chaps out there. And the posts can always be edited to remove specifics.

Dominic
Why don't you help out by offering your advice for other people in the same situation. This can't be the first and last time someone wants to quit job to do MFE.

" My manager has been having talks with me almost every other day asking if I will change my mind about going to school"

Its hard to tell what the so called manager is even thinking ! He probably keeps asking you if your leaving so that he needs to know if he has to start looking for a replacement. Ofcourse he is not going to sound like that, individuals at work try to stay positive :)

They have also tried to lure me into staying by offering a promotion and a job switch so I can work closely with the financial engineers in my company and maybe get myself an internal transfer in a couple of years through networking..."

Not all great promises are kept ! Supervisors play this kind of game on a regular basis to motivate individuals ! I notice you mention your in a support group (IT). Not too many good people get into support, or if they do then dont stay in it.

BUT if you already have a job at a good firm, itis easier to transfer than to apply from the outside if you network well. I did two graduate degrees at night, had them paid for by my company, was able to apply the learning immediately, and came out with four additional years of experience. I've seen IT people get pidgeonholed, but if one has the support of one's bosses, many good things can happen...

Who the heck will contribute in the future if posts are being deleted on a whim like this?
The OP is smart enough to use pseudo name so he should be smart enough to present his case vaguely that it can apply to thousands of chaps out there. And the posts can always be edited to remove specifics.

Dominic
Why don't you help out by offering your advice for other people in the same situation. This can't be the first and last time someone wants to quit job to do MFE.
Dominic's Advice: I is a headhunter! I can makes u vary vary rich! Just give me some comp bro.

Nothing you can do until you are accepted. Don't be swayed. You obviously don't want to leave and if they really valued you they would have treated you right in the first place. Don't burn bridges, leave on a good note and move on to bigger and better things. Hopefully next time they will try and utilize their employees better.

Andy, there are specific reasons for not being public, it is important to understand the difference between carpet bombing advice which is generally applicable and a knife fight, and the advice I shared requires sensitivity.

euroazn, the correct grammar given that by the grace of God I am a man of Essex, so it is
"we are headhunter, it may please me to enrich you, your diversity will be added to my collective bank balance"

Back