• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

BB Structured Credit Trader vs HF quant

Hi Guys,

Currently a sell-side quant (very bored with his job) with a maths msc from a top school, I have been quite lucky to get two offers: one as a structured credit trader at my bank (top BB), the other as quant dev (so not researcher, at a mid-tier HF) with the promise of being able to transition to quant research in 2-3 years time if performance in the role is good. How would you guys assess these two opportunities?

The way I see it:
  • HF quant:
    • PRO: more technical/potentially more interesting. Less likely to end up unemployed as coding skills will always get you a job. I like programming.
    • CONS: more difficult. I am decently good at maths but definitely not good enough (nor passionate about it enough) to do a STEM PhD. I wasn't one of the smartest in my class, I got good grades because I studied. So although there is a clear path to becoming researcher in this fund from the quant dev role, I am not sure I would be able to compete against top PhDs / do well enough on the job. I also didn't really like the firm vibe as I am a quite social person and everyone was super quiet/nerdy.
  • BB Trading:
    • PRO: the team is super nice and i definitely fit much better within the culture of the trading floor than of a quant fund in my opinion.There is a lot of potential for client interaction, which i would also like as I think it makes the work more varied. I think with effort I could be reasonably good at this job.
    • CONS: less technical (and arguably less interesting under some POVs) work, very little maths/coding.
I am more inclined towards the trading role as it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I think it would be a shame to not at least try it out (as it's almost impossible to get into s&t after uni), whereas recruiters constantly reach out for HF quant roles and I was thinking that I could do trading for 1y, keep my coding/maths sharp in the weekends and then in a year time reassess and if I am not liking trading, just apply again for HF quant roles.

How would 1.5y quant + 1y trading experience at top BB look like for HF quant roles? Now I am not too competitive for HF quant researcher roles as they are mostly taken by PhDs: would doing 1y of trading make me more appealing to recruiters? How many funds/AMs are active in the systematic fixed income space?

What do you think in terms of earning potential? (the offers have same base, but I think bonus at the BB would be more). I think quant researchers in HFs cap out at around 500k £/yr which is more or less the same as VPs on good S^T desks, but I know directors in the 700-1mio range (and to me it looks like it requires much less hard skills to get there than to become a top quant/PM in a systematic fund).

If you think you’d be likely to get a similar offer at a HF as a quant in the future, go for S&T if you think you’d like it a lot. But think about it carefully because I don’t know your situation as well as you do

I shared some info regarding a situation that my friend is currently encountering at work, and would ideally not want to disclose any information that could put her in a bad spot.

However, I was saying that promises are promises and that they don't mean much IMO. My said friend was promised a technical role when joining the HF she is in, only to realize there is no proper upward mobility in that regard.

I would have written the full message here if not for some more sensitive information.

Back