C++ Programing for Financial Engineering Online Certificate. Join hundreds of graduates from over 35 countries on 5 continents.

Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications Online Certificate. Launched in January 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best book for self-learning C++?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Zeuge, 12/12/11.

1. Zeuge

Zeuge Member

If you have some background in object-oriented programming (i.e. Java), what's the best book(s) for self-learning C++?

2. marina

marina Member

3. Aaron Wong

Aaron Wong Member

4. TobiAkin

TobiAkin Member

Thinking in C++ is very good I believe and the structure is good. Im reading it and find gentler explanations than Deitel's C++.

5. KaiRu

KaiRu Active Member

Thinking in C++ by B. Eckel.
    Free, edited by community, the name speaks for itself.

PDFs are on the author's web site - http://www.mindview.net/Books

6. ExSan

ExSan Active Member

link ?...

7. Shantanu Kumar

Shantanu Kumar Active Member

Download it from the author's website here for free.
    Here the pdf of volume1 and volume2

senoz and ExSan like this.
  8. marina

marina Member

volume 1 - 814 pages
    volume 2 - 832 pages
    how many months/years it will take to read this book?

9. Daniel Duffy

Daniel Duffy C++ author, trainer
      C++ Level 1

To learn C++, the key is to program, not reading.

gbruno, TobiAkin and Andy Nguyen like this.
  10. bigbadwolf

bigbadwolf Well-Known Member

What's so great about the Eckel books that people here keep recommending them? Josuttis is fine, with Prata for backup. If you're a newbie to coding, Gaddis will hold your hand.

11. TobiAkin

TobiAkin Member

Im reading it and it's good and comprehensive as far as I have reached. What particularly don't you like? I just wonder if anything is wrong with this book.

12. marina

marina Member

without reading, what will you program?

13. TobiAkin

TobiAkin Member

That meant that while reading you are only going through what the author supplies and a bit more if you play a bit. But while programming in a sense to come across problems and struggle finding a solution you gain much more understanding since such problem scopes are unlimited in contrast to what author gives in little specification.

14. bigbadwolf

bigbadwolf Well-Known Member

Nothing is wrong with it, but there are a number of other good books on C++ which hardly get mentioned. Deitel I don't like either. But Prata is good, Gaddis is good, so is Josuttis, so is Koenig and Moos' "Accelerated C++."

JasonH likes this.
  15. Daniel Duffy

C++ Level 1

I liked his application-oriented approach and not just dry syntax. The initial motivation for a C++ CAD library we built at the time was based on his 1988 book.

16. ExSan

ExSan Active Member

I just read what I need or what I think will help me to improve my current knowledge or what would correct my programming manners

17. JasonH

JasonH New Member

I got Prata's C & C++ Primer Plus books, thought they were both fantastic and I got them for about $20 each. :)

TobiAkin likes this.
  18. Polter

Polter Active Member

I recommend "Accelerated C++" -- http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/
    (the other ones might go into stuff of "what is a variable" variety, etc. , which is unnecessary if you already know to program in general -- this one introduces you to the "C++" part of C++ programming, not just programming in general, and does it in < 400 pages, actually covering what you need -- isn't C++ simpler than Java ;] /* it's also on a very good level, one of the few books not abusing the using directive -- you know, the ones that start with "using namespace std" and teach you bad habits from the start */).
    But, you should get two more: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html#faq-28.4

19. Daniel Duffy

C++ Level 1

Then there is a group that has never programmed before. They have then to learn what a variable is etc. etc. and we cannot assume anything. My advice is to learn C first, at least the essential and future-proof syntax of Kernighan&Ritchie. Then the move to C++ is less of a shock :)