• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best Path Advice

I have spent a lot of time researching and working hard to secure offers. However I am confused on what is best.

Background: Studied statistics with finance at LSE, graduated in 2014, got a 2:1 (not 2.1 GPA but upper second class). I then joined a technology firm on the business side, progressed to a product manager role, but am not too keen on that career long term. I am leaving this month. I am UK born.

Option 1. Join another large tech firm as an analytics manager in London. Do the Software Engineering masters at Oxford. Will take 2 years to complete, starting this April. I can afford it with the money I make in the full time job. All other masters I researched want a first class (1:1 which I don't have) and this Masters let's me work and study. It's a hands on role which will allow me to focus on the analytics / technical stuff rather than just 'manage'. I've been told they are open to moving me after 12 months to the US.

Option 2. Join a top hedge fund/asset management firm but in a non-investing role in New York. Do the Baruch MFE (both pre-requisite and actual) while working. I can afford it with the money I make in the full time job and they may actually fund it. I'm not 100% sure I can move internally without further qualification. It is a semi technical role and I will have access to quants etc. The firm are keen on retaining employees so it may be good. My concern with this is I'm not sure how 'famous' Baruch is outside of NYC (I didn't know about tt until today) so should I move back to the UK I may get screwed eg if I want to move to a big bank. That said this hedge fund is 'famous' so maybe I am okay.

Option 3. Stick to the product management path, do an MBA, and see what happens. There is money in PM role so but I'm not keen on this path to be honest. I want to develop and use more technical skills.

Option 4. Do either role until September, get into a full time program, apply for jobs after. My reservation with this is that experience + degree is better.

There may have been something I overlooked so please do let me know if I have.

Thank you for the help in advance!

If you end goal is to be on the Analytics/Quant developer side of business than Investing; Oxford is a no brainer, and there is no bigger brand than Oxford expect Harvard. Choosing Brauch over Oxford would be foolish no matter the field though 2 years seem long but if you can work along it seem good enough. With only an undergrad stats qualification you would be doing bullshit work no matter whatever fund it is.

If you end goal is to be on the Analytics/Quant developer side of business than Investing; Oxford is a no brainer, and there is no bigger brand than Oxford expect Harvard. Choosing Brauch over Oxford would be foolish no matter the field though 2 years seem long but if you can work along it seem good enough. With only an undergrad stats qualification you would be doing bullshit work no matter whatever fund it is.

Thanks!

The Oxford degree would be software engineering (same department as computer science). Is that okay as it's not a MFE? The reason it is 2 years is because I would still work full time so it would take more time to complete the modules. That said, it may take 1 year, if the company give me a few months off to complete the modules.

Harvard only have a full time program hence I haven't applied as I can't also afford it without working. I could work st the hedge fund for 1-2 years and then go and complete the masters though.

You mentioned the above is for quant development - by this do you mean quant strategy / trading or more the eng work?

For an investing career what would be best?

Brand recognition is more imp than knowledge. There are enough Eastern Europeans with stellar quant skills but lack the University brand recognition and therefore cant get interviews. CS paths usually lead to trading systems developer roles ...Quant strategizing is an interplay of Finance/Maths/Programming essentially prepackged MFE. Choose the option which has a finite life span and can't be replicated in future. If the hedgefund role is one of a chance choose that....can't go wrong w either.

Thanks!

The Oxford degree would be software engineering (same department as computer science). Is that okay as it's not a MFE? The reason it is 2 years is because I would still work full time so it would take more time to complete the modules. That said, it may take 1 year, if the company give me a few months off to complete the modules.

Harvard only have a full time program hence I haven't applied as I can't also afford it without working. I could work st the hedge fund for 1-2 years and then go and complete the masters though.

You mentioned the above is for quant development - by this do you mean quant strategy / trading or more the eng work?

For an investing career what would be best?

Brand recognition is more imp than knowledge. There are enough Eastern Europeans with stellar quant skills but lack the University brand recognition and therefore cant get interviews. CS paths usually lead to trading systems developer roles ...Quant strategizing is an interplay of Finance/Maths/Programming essentially prepackged MFE. Choose the option which has a finite life span and can't be replicated in future. If the hedgefund role is one of a chance choose that....can't go wrong w either.

You mentioned the undergrad won't be enough though (I went to an Ivy League in the UK). Hence wanted to understand what the best option was.

In terms of a job I think the HF path is good but I still think I'll need solid programming skills to move over internally. Without having gone through a structured program this may be difficult to get.

Back