• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best Quant programs in UK

Hi All,

I need your opinion opinion about several quant programs in UK which seems to be decent and in the same tier. I have excluded the top tier ones such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick etc.
Can you please rank the below programs and explain the reasons for doing so ?

- MSc Quantitative Finance - Lancaster University
- Financial Engineering - University of Reading (ICMA)
- MSc Mathematical Finance - University of Birmingham
- Financial Engineering - Birkbeck, University of London
- Mathematical Finance - University of Leeds
- Mathematical Finance - Queen Mary, University Of London
- MSc Quantitative Finance - University of Manchester
- MSc Financial Mathematics - University of Edinburgh
- MSC Quantitative Finance - University of Glasgow
- Financial Mathematics & Computation - University of Leicester

I intend to apply for 2-3 programs out of these, so hopefully your view will help me to identify the best.

Thanks & Regards
- Chathura

Going by thread name, "Best Quant Programs in UK" are at Cambridge, Warwick, and then Imperial.

From the options you have provided, I would recommend University of Reading and Edinburgh.

Whatever you do, do not waste time and effort for Birkbeck.

I know of the MSc Mathematical Finance - University of Birmingham as being well designed and taught, with focus on student employability. I do not have enough information to rank programs.

Thank you very much 'roskanlyst' and Prof. Stefanica for your quick response.
In fact I am also quite interested in University of Reading MFE due to its curriculum and the reputation of Henley Business School. The ICMA Center looks unique and impressive due to its focus towards financial markets.

Also it is good to hear some positive feedback about Birmingham program because this was my personal choice from the beginning although I didnt have much idea about the quality of the program. It seems to have the best ROI from the above list.

I understand that Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick are probably the best in UK, but I am concerned about the tuition fee and the chance of getting admitted to those programs. So I wanted to research more about the middle tier programs.

I have currently noted down Reading and Birmingham as the best options and probably Edinburgh as third.
Does anyone have more information the rest of the programs I have listed above ?
From what I have heard Manchester and Lancaster programs are also good.

Faculty, Curriculum, Reputation of the program, Career Services, Value for the money and Alumni Network

Sorry that I start a discussion that not related to host's questions,
but in which of the above areas is warwick superior to Imperial and Oxford?
And I presume you mean the Cambridge part III, not the one in its business school, in the above ranking.

Hi, I recently applied to University of Glasgow (partly due to its reasonable tuition fees), heard it is a reputable university. Wondering whether its MSC Quantitative Finance program is comprehensive enough in terms of what the Quants practitioners are using in the industry right now? And I wondered whether any of you heard of UCD Smurfit Business School, its Master QF program also allows exemption from level 1 and 2 exams of PRM

Hi All,

I need your opinion opinion about several quant programs in UK which seems to be decent and in the same tier. I have excluded the top tier ones such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick etc.
Can you please rank the below programs and explain the reasons for doing so ?

- MSc Quantitative Finance - Lancaster University
- Financial Engineering - University of Reading (ICMA)
- MSc Mathematical Finance - University of Birmingham
- Financial Engineering - Birkbeck, University of London
- Mathematical Finance - University of Leeds
- Mathematical Finance - Queen Mary, University Of London
- MSc Quantitative Finance - University of Manchester
- MSc Financial Mathematics - University of Edinburgh
- MSC Quantitative Finance - University of Glasgow
- Financial Mathematics & Computation - University of Leicester

I intend to apply for 2-3 programs out of these, so hopefully your view will help me to identify the best.

Thanks & Regards
- Chathura
+ 1 vote for Manchester.

What about Cass School of Business - Financial Mathematics | Quantitative Finance, and LSE - Financial Mathematics?

Any information someone by any chance?

From what I heard they are top programs but I don't really trust my sources in that matter.

Look at what they are offering by way of coding (programming) in C++ and reach your own conclusions.

Back