• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Better to have IB internship OR solid experience at Fortune 500?

Hi folks, I'm a first year student in financial engineering and I'm looking for a career in hedge fund/private equity when I graduate. I know the finance job market at the end of the rainbow is tough (not sure if there's a big pot of gold anymore) so I can't just rely on my FE degree to break into competitive areas like hedge funds.

Recently I have an opportunity to work as an economist for a Fortune 500 company (economics is my background). Question is: Would it be better to focus on schooling and get a good investment banking or hedge fund internships ... or is it better to continue developing my skills and experience as an economist while in FE school? Which will be most attractive to hiring managers in hedge fund/private equity market?

Thank you folks for your two cents (or more if you have any). =)

- Daniel

Are you asking us to choose between a more relevant or less relevant internship? More relevant is better.

Having unrelated experience to what you want to do will not help you much, and it may make it harder in some cases.

Sorry if the question seems confusing. I'm asking if it is better to have one relevant internship or a less relevant (though from a big name company) full time job. I don't know how seriously internship experience are viewed in this industry.

thanks again.

Again, a relevant internship is going to look better than an irrelevant job. It's not about the size of the company, you should also think about whether there are any transferable skills. Prospective employers understand you are capable of working, so you don't need to prove that by holding a job, I would think, especially if you're in a full-time program.

Back