• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ online certificate for MFE applicants

On another note, I just browse through all the pages in this discussion and count 35 people who expressed interest in signing up for the course. And that is not taking into account other MFE applicants who will learn about this when we announce the course.

That is great!

I know a programming course is not comparable with a math course but just for an interesting comparison I'm teaching at an online based math course during the summer which has about 1200 students!

:)

Hi Andy,

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm very excited about the launch of the C++ online cert. Currently I have two years remaining in my undergrad and I need to boost my programming skills since I'm lacking knowledge and experience in this area. This course is perfect to prepare my application for an MFE program upon graduation. I may not be the ideal candidate for the first group of intakes but hopefully I can get into the 2nd or 3rd class of the program.

Please let me know if there are any news for the 2nd class and I will continue to follow the thread for updates. Thank you and I have very high hopes for the course!

From what I remember from earlier in this thread, Andy mentioned that slots will be filled on a first-come first-served basis with some priority given to some groups of people... look through the previous posts...

Hi Andy, I've been commissioned a paid project in the engineering field and will miss your first intake. Good luck to all! Giuseppe

We will open pre-registration next week after Labor Day (exact date TBA). Pre-registration for the general public will follow a few days later.
Slots in the first group will be on a first come, first serve basis with priority given to members who are applying for MFE programs this Fall. If you are in this group, please send me a private message about your plan so I can follow up with you personally.

Once this first group is filled, everyone else will be admitted according to their position in the signup list. We fully expect that our course will be oversubscribed for the first few classes.

Other updates.
  • Dr. Daniel Duffy has been working hard to put together the materials for the course. He is currently working on the Financial Applications for Financial Engineering module. This is the last module on our syllabus. After this, the next items on the menu would be materials for the quiz and programming exercises.
  • Once that is done, we expect to start the course on or around the 4th week of September.
  • The Baruch MFE program has recruited several TAs for the course, all of them current and graduates in the program. (On a lighter note: these TAs will be able to provide invaluable advice for prospective MFE students as well as able to vouch for your C++ programming ability should you perform well. They will be your best mentor so get to know them well).

Hi Andy,

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm very excited about the launch of the C++ online cert. Currently I have two years remaining in my undergrad and I need to boost my programming skills since I'm lacking knowledge and experience in this area. This course is perfect to prepare my application for an MFE program upon graduation. I may not be the ideal candidate for the first group of intakes but hopefully I can get into the 2nd or 3rd class of the program.

Please let me know if there are any news for the 2nd class and I will continue to follow the thread for updates. Thank you and I have very high hopes for the course!
Brian,
I expect that you should be able to attend the course not too long after the first group. That should allow you time to improve on your programming skills and make yourself a more competitive MFE applicant.

Andy,

I am going to apply for MFE programs this fall. Sent you a message about that too. Thanks!

Just a heads up to prospective students of this online C++ course: if you live in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area, you have the option of taking the final exam at Baruch College with your TA. You will also have the opportunity for an informal meet with the director of the MFE program afforded to students admitted to on-campus Baruch Pre-MFE courses.

If Baruch MFE is one of your target programs, it can only help to do well in the course, make the best of the opportunities. Competition for 2012 admission will only get tougher.

Thanks Andy and all other organizers for the hard work! Looking forward to the course.

Andy, what (and when) is the next step after pre-registration?

Andy, what (and when) is the next step after pre-registration?
Those selected for the first group will get an email notification to proceed with payment. This should happen sometime next week.
Once that is done, they will be assigned a TA, get early access to the materials so they can get started.

Others will be updated on when they are expected to be enrolled, based on their signup position.

Hi Andy. I have pre-registered for the course just now. Am I too late or would I be still considered for the first lot ? I am a Civil Engineering major with sufficient mathematics backed by a few research projects in Applied Mathematics (which involved substantial amount of coding in Matlab). However my University transcripts lack any class in computer programming. I shall be applying for MFE admissions Fall this year and hence it is really important for me to get enrolled in this class. The last time I wrote some programs in C++ was in my high school years (2005) and therefore, aware of the concepts of constructors and objects etc. Further,I have taken a class in Mathematical Finance which makes me believe that I would be able to grasp the materials quite smoothly. I really need to get enrolled in this course to make my application anywhere near to attractive for the top programs. Please do inform me if I shall be considered for the first lot.

That was introductory price given to those admitted to the first class.
The price was set to be in line with other Pre-MFE courses at Baruch College and we tried our best to provide some incentives where we can.

If there is any question, concern about the course, anything at all, don't hesitate to let me know and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

If you have technical questions on the C++ learning process please don't hesitate to ask.

I would just like to say a few words at the outset concerning the goals of the course, quizzes and exercises; the goal is to get a solid grounding in C++ (OO and templates) and to able to write decent and understandable code, with applications to option pricing and numerical algorithms. The focus is thus on powerful C++ syntax and we avoid questions on archaic and esoteric C/C++ syntax which does not have added value and that probably should be avoided anyway. You can always learn it later, if necessary, but it is not on the critical path at the moment.

This course is useful/unique in my opinion because - in addition to the above features - we pay some attention to designing efficient and flexible C++ code something I feel should receive more air space.

Dear all,

I think my following questions have been already answered but I can't find them :(

1. Where and How will we do the final exam? I'm not in the US...
2. What if I get less than 70% in the final exam (considering that one of my goals is the Baruch Certification)? Will I have some tries?

Thanks

Back