• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can you get into a top MFE program with a high GMAT and not-so-great GPA?

Hi all,

I'm currently an undergrad Computer Science and Finance double major at a well-known, but very average state school in the US. Heading into my senior year I'll have a 3.5 GPA. I don't have my GMAT results, but I did score a 169 on the GRE and a 2360 on the SATs so I'm hoping I'll manage to make it into the mid/upper 700s with a lot of hard work and perseverance.

My question is, for the top pre-experience MFE programs (especially ones in Europe, because I want to go there for my master's), what kind of GMAT score should I be aiming for to have a reasonable shot at being admitted? Heck, is there even a chance for me to get into the cream of the crop schools, even if I score a 790 or something? Most people on the Quantnet tracker applying to the programs I'm looking at seem to have at least a 3.7.

I would love someone to give some real perspective on this without too much sugarcoating. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not that it really matters or is relevant to your question, but why don't you mention what allegedly "average" yet "very well known" state school you're referring to?

Well, I'd rather not give away who I am online. As far as I know, there aren't a whole lot of CS/Finance double majors in my year- in fact, I haven't met a single other person in any of my classes in all the years I've been here. This might be paranoid, but please bear with me.

If it makes it easier, you can pretend I go to Penn State. That's a school that's in the same tier/notoriety as mine.

Anyways, like you said, I really don't think the tier of school really matters when considering my question. I looked at the class profile of programs like Oxford's MFE and a lot of people were from average state unis.

The problem I'm facing is that while there are plenty of posts online from people with 2.7 GPAs going for top MFE programs where people basically tell them they have to get a 800 GMAT and pray, there is no information about being on the borderline between a good and "great" GPA like in my case. In the example of Oxford's MFE (my top choice), I see that their GMAT average is a crazy high 740, which makes me wonder whether a mid-high 700s score will even help my chances.

If you or anyone has any experiences or advice to share about my situation, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
Well, I'd rather not give away who I am online. As far as I know, there aren't a whole lot of CS/Finance double majors in my year- in fact, I haven't met a single other person in any of my classes in all the years I've been here. This might be paranoid, but please bear with me.

If it makes it easier, you can pretend I go to Penn State. That's a school that's in the same tier/notoriety as mine.

Anyways, like you said, I really don't think the tier of school really matters when considering my question. I looked at the class profile of programs like Oxford's MFE and a lot of people were from average state unis.

The problem I'm facing is that while there are plenty of posts online from people with 2.7 GPAs going for top MFE programs where people basically tell them they have to get a 800 GMAT and pray, there is no information about being on the borderline between a good and "great" GPA like in my case. In the example of Oxford's MFE (my top choice), I see that their GMAT average is a crazy high 740, which makes me wonder whether a mid-high 700s score will even help my chances.

If you or anyone has any experiences or advice to share about my situation, I'd love to hear it.
probably because high gpa correlates with high GRE/GMAT... also I am told committees look at grades in the courses. So they wont care much about you bombing basket weaving 101 but will "reward" a high grade in a tough course like Mathematical Statistics etc...

Take what I said with a grain of salt, others might be able to give a better opinion.

you do understand what's an average right? do they also give a spread for the gmat scores?

Back