• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career Change

Good Afternoon,

I am a Canadian who majored in Finance at a fairly ho-hum university (not any sort of Ivy League institution), I became exposed to Hull's textbook, "Options, Futures & Other Derivatives," during university and have held a growing interest in Quantitative Finance ever since.

Upon graduation I decided to join my family's business full-time, it's an industrial construction co., now I am a co-owner and general manager of the business and overseeing it's sale to a private buyer.

My family and I started our business from scratch with an investment of $70,000 just 6 years ago, it's evolved to become capable of generating several million in cash flow on an annual basis, I now own 16% of the company and I'm lining it up for a $20,000,000+ sale.

I wore many hats over at this company and would say that I have been it's sole business analyst and programmer for IT implementations. I've learned an intermediate level of programming and database design, designing databases and writing code to create applications to enable operations.

I find myself spending a lot of time learning about statistics, data analysis, programming and algorithmic trading, I'd like to develop a career in quantitative finance when the sale of my family's business is concluded.

Now, what are the prospects for someone who's 27 years old and lacks a quantitative background to reskill and enter the field of quantitative finance?

I feel as though I may be often overlooked because of my age, even if I were to complete a M.Sc and PhD and apply my developing knowledge to make publications and participate in internships and open source projects, would my age deter those making the hiring decision?

I am aware that I might need to a lot of bridging courses before admission into a competitive M.Sc. program, and if that's the case I would also consider doing a full complete restart with a second degree in Computer Science and/or Mathematics and Statistics.

I could self-fund an account to develop and showcase a track record and learn on my own dime, while a student again, but I'd be very cautious not to throw good money after bad.

Last edited:
Now, what are the prospects for someone who's 27 years old and lacks a quantitative background to reskill and enter the field of quantitative finance?

Definitely not less! Have you seen this: Algorithmic Trading: The Play-at-Home Version

I would suggest you not to worry about aspects which are out of your control (read: age) and rather focus on factors which are completely in your hands! There are so many ways out there to learn and start Quantitative Trading immediately! Go explore, learn and you can always re-start by joining a degree program if your commitments allow the same.

Back