• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career Direction - Model Validation

I've recently been assigned a position in Model Validation. What skills will this experience develop and where can I go moving forward? I have a Bachelors degree and don't intend (at the moment) on getting any higher level degrees. Will this job be challenging?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I currently work in a model val role and have a bachelors' degree like yourself ( a bit more experience though) . It is fairly interesting, you will start on more "simpler" models and will be gradually moved to more complex models depending on your asset class, in beginning your programming skills will be more handy but gradually you will have to start reading about Stochastic and Vector calculus. You can make your mind about the masters degree in a few years time if you find that this is not your cup of tea. Prepare to be challenged by PhDs for more senior roles who will not only know the math but some more :)

Rates, Counterparty Credit Risk roles are more in demand, Structured Credit is making a slow come back but any experience in CCR can be leveraged for future Structured Credit Roles so you can plan your progression with this in mind. I gather that Structured Equity is fairly quantitative and is a fast growing field hopefully some senior members can add more details on that front.

Get hold of Numerical Recipes its a must have book regardless of which desk you work with.

Back