• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Chicago MSFM and Columbia MAFN

Hi all,
Just received admission from this two programs. Quite hard for me to make a decision.
I'd like to be a trading quant so Chicago takes the advantage. However, I may say Columbia has a better alumni network, isn't it? So anyone could give me some advice? Thank you.

Congratuations!
Can you share your profile please?
Anyone else get invites?

If your goal is to be a quant trader then go to Chicago imo.

Source: Currently in Columbia MAFN

Definitely Columbia MAFN; Source based current MAFN students:one of them will intern at S&T in GS NY this summer, one in NY UBS trading , over 20 studetns already got internship offer from bulge bracket.

all the ibd, S&T , hedge fund, AM, quant trading firm such as Two sigma, DE shaw recruit at Columbia. Columbia MAFN has access to these firms and various positions from trading to quant, from research to consulting, etc

Last edited:
Definitely Columbia MAFN; Source based current MAFN students:one of them will intern at S&T in GS NY this summer, one in NY UBS trading , over 20 studetns already got internship offer from bulge bracket.

all the ibd, S&T , hedge fund, AM, quant trading firm such as Two sigma, DE shaw recruit at Columbia. Columbia MAFN has access to these firms and various positions from trading to quant, from research to consulting, etc

Thanks man. This really helps.

Thanks for the advice. So could you please share some drawbacks about Columbia's program?
No real drawbacks, I love the program. Just in my job search and experience there seems to be more opportunities for quant trading in Chicago vs NYC. I can confirm all of what quiangouzi has said, though.

No real drawbacks, I love the program. Just in my job search and experience there seems to be more opportunities for quant trading in Chicago vs NYC. I can confirm all of what quiangouzi has said, though.

Edit: I will add that I don't think it's a huge difference. Attend whichever program/city you like better and you'll have plenty of opportunities.

if you want more opportunities with investment bank trading (not really quant trading as far as i know), then go to columbia. if you want to work in prop firms (IMC, Optiver, CTC, Akuna, DRW, etc.) as a quant trader, go to chicago.

So, what is your final decision?

(I got admittid from UChicago MSFM too. Is there a whatsapp or wechat group for this program? )

Hi! I am also choosing between these two programs. I would like to know about the career services provided (networking events, job search guidance, workshops etc.) by these two programs. Any current student could help? Many thanks! :)

You're best off contacting the program staff to help with your decision. Also regarding my previous comment, 10 or so of the current MSFM students are going to investment banks for trading or strats... so it looks like that opportunity is there

So if I want to work in the risk analysis area, which city should I go? Chicago or New York? I heard somewhere that Chicago is great for risk management, is that right?

"Chicago is great for risk management" is sort of a nonsense statement. Chicago is a financial hub, so there will be risk management jobs - risk management jobs are everywhere.

There is one slight reason why I think NYC might be better for risk; that's where most company headquarters are. The more interesting risk work for risk seems to be at the headquarters in my opinion. Having said that, a lot of HQs for trading companies are in Chicago...

Chicago MSFM has much more than 10 current students going to investment banks.

Closer to 20 current Chicago MSFM students are going to
Goldman Sachs / JPMorgan / Barclays / BofA this summer.
(Goldman in NY will have 6 summer interns from Chicago MSFM,
Goldman in HK will have 3 summer interns from Chicago MSFM, ...)

Back