• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

City University of Hong Kong

Abdel

Economist
I contacted their MFE program people asking these questions:

- What is the % of graduates in your financial engineering program that find a job? How long does it usually take for them to find one?

- What is the starting salary for the graduates?

And there answer was this:
'' For the MSc Financial Engineering programme, we expect students to have strong quantitative skills due to the quantitative nature of the programme. So most of our students are currently working and with solid working experience.
Our graduates now occupy senior staff in various financial institutions and regulatory agencies in Hong Kong and overseas. ''

Since they didn't put out the numbers = red flag?

I believe so. It looks like a copy-paste material from a standard info brochure. Ask for specific numbers.

This is their final answer:
''We only have the statistics stated on the website.''

And of course, there is no stats on their website lol

This is their final answer:
''We only have the statistics stated on the website.''

And of course, there is no stats on their website lol
double-facepalm.jpg

That's what I just did 'vuze'. Contacted 2 of them,

and LOL @Andy

Hey Andy,

During the 2008 recession, did the FE's got fired alot?

I'm asking this question because I know we're headed back into recession pretty soon and this time, it will last for years (unless they bring us hyperinflation because of all the money printing). So is it worth it to study in FE knowing this?

During the 2008 recession, did the FE's got fired alot?
During the financial crisis, people working in finance got laid off, a lot. So if you are looking for safe heaven, job security, finance is not the place to be. FE is just one small segment of people working there.
If you can be made redundant by lack of skill, better (cheaper, younger) labor, you will be. It's just more brutal in finance than in other industry.

The last financial crisis does not seem to scare off any prospective students so I do not believe my words of caution will make any difference.

During the financial crisis, people working in finance got laid off, a lot.
The last financial crisis does not seem to scare off any prospective students so I do not believe my words of caution will make any difference.

I hear your words of caution. Because if the coming recession lasts for a min, if you're a chartered accountant working in the finance sector and get laid off, you can find somewhere else to work rather quickly.

But if your an FE and finance is down, it's a wrap.

I just finished my 2nd bachelor year in Economics. I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon :s

Back