• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSOR VS University of Michigan Ann Arbor MFE

which one is better and why? It seems that Michigan's programis better but the location and reputation is not as good as Columbia? And is OR a well-known major to do right now? Thank you

which one is better and why? It seems that Michigan's programis better but the location and reputation is not as good as Columbia? And is OR a well-known major to do right now? Thank you

I know a person out of MSOR making $13 an hour doing database cleaning.

I'd have to go with UMich MFE on this one. Location is cold yes but being on a traditional campus does have its advantages. As far as reputation, that really depends on what kind of jobs you're applying for as well as location. UMich MFE should have a better reputation than Columbia MSOR for quant-related jobs. You can't really compare these two because Columbia has its own MSFE program, but even then, I wouldn't automatically pick Columbia over UMich.

I'd have to go with UMich MFE on this one. Location is cold yes but being on a traditional campus does have its advantages. As far as reputation, that really depends on what kind of jobs you're applying for as well as location. UMich MFE should have a better reputation than Columbia MSOR for quant-related jobs. You can't really compare these two because Columbia has its own MSFE program, but even then, I wouldn't automatically pick Columbia over UMich.
I see. Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

but is Columbia's Brand not useful?
My friend who works at an investment banking says that when he see someone's CV with non-finance major, he would throw it away only if he has a Summer Intern at BB/MM/boutique e.g.

there are no dearth of opportunities at Columbia MSOR.
It appears many people doing MSOR and trying to tailor it to be MFE (possibly because they couldn't get into Columbia MFE in the first place). In that case, going to a proper MFE program would be a better choice.
On the other hands, there are plenty of jobs that MSOR is designed for such as with employers like Amazon, UPS, airlines. I'm not sure if most MSOR students that are members here would be interested in such jobs or they only want to work in finance.

In conclusion, the OP should know what he wants to get out of MFE/MSOR program before we can give meaningful advice on which degree is better.

This is a very poor generalization of the entire program. Any masters program is what you make of it, and there are no dearth of opportunities at Columbia MSOR.

Columbia MSOR students mostly cannot find jobs and you can ask most graduates. You are competing against Columbia MFE, MAFN and among MSOR. Easily over 300 students and MSOR students are viewed as being at the bottom of the three. It is true that Columbia still has brand name and what you make out of it, but the odds are really against you.

My friend who works at an investment banking says that when he see someone's CV with non-finance major, he would throw it away only if he has a Summer Intern at BB/MM/boutique e.g.
I see. thank you very much!

Columbia MSOR students mostly cannot find jobs and you can ask most graduates. You are competing against Columbia MFE, MAFN and among MSOR. Easily over 300 students and MSOR students are viewed as being at the bottom of the three. It is true that Columbia still has brand name and what you make out of it, but the odds are really against you.
Ye thats true. It's just that I came from China so that a lot of people may know Columbia better that Michigan that I hesitate, otherwise I will go for Michigan for sure. Thank you for your suggestions

It appears many people doing MSOR and trying to tailor it to be MFE (possibly because they couldn't get into Columbia MFE in the first place). In that case, going to a proper MFE program would be a better choice.
On the other hands, there are plenty of jobs that MSOR is designed for such as with employers like Amazon, UPS, airlines. I'm not sure if most MSOR students that are members here would be interested in such jobs or they only want to work in finance.

In conclusion, the OP should know what he wants to get out of MFE/MSOR program before we can give meaningful advice on which degree is better.

Thank you for the suggestion. Personally I prefer Michigan's program, it's just that the Columbia's fame kind of influence my decision.

Thank you for the suggestion. Personally I prefer Michigan's program, it's just that the Columbia's fame kind of influence my decision.
If Columbia MSOR provides superior career support with great placement stats, of course you should go for it. How is it compared to Michigan MFE career support/placement stats?
Your important decision should be supported by facts, first hand feedback, and not affected by emotion.
I do understand the importance of that brandname in China, specially when your parents are the one that pay your education but at the end of the day, you would need to be able to find a good job that pay off that investment and allow you to have a successful career.

Which program will allow you to achieve that goal more realistically?

Also, something people sometimes don´t take much into account. If you plan to work for a while (2-3 years in the US), the quality of that job will be taken a lot into account when returning to your home country. So it is not only Michigan vs Columbia, but MichiganMFE+FE job vs Columbia MSOR vs OR job.

Also, something people sometimes don´t take much into account. If you plan to work for a while (2-3 years in the US), the quality of that job will be taken a lot into account when returning to your home country. So it is not only Michigan vs Columbia, but MichiganMFE+FE job vs Columbia MSOR vs OR job.
Indeed, it makes great sense. I do want to work in US first so I think FE is a better choice indeed! Thank you for pointing that out

So, are you saying that they don't like people with BB/MM/boutique internship? and, they will still look at people's resume from non-finance field?
I mean you should take some finance-related major and better to have some intern exp at BB/MM/boutique.

If Columbia MSOR provides superior career support with great placement stats, of course you should go for it. How is it compared to Michigan MFE career support/placement stats?
Your important decision should be supported by facts, first hand feedback, and not affected by emotion.
I do understand the importance of that brandname in China, specially when your parents are the one that pay your education but at the end of the day, you would need to be able to find a good job that pay off that investment and allow you to have a successful career.

Which program will allow you to achieve that goal more realistically?

To be honest, I wasn't that sure. I want to work in the finance area because I have strong math and economics background and I am really interested in Finance, and I want to focus on derivative analysis. It just seems that both FE and OR will be able to teach me knowledge about it. I would prefer MFE program personally, but one of my friend in columbia OR suggest me to take OR because it contains more fields, it other words, it can be applied to more subjects, while FE is relatively limited to finance only.

I am not sure if there is placement stats on Columbia OR website, it just mentioned which companies have recruited before and what kind of jobs do students do. In comparison, there is 2011 placement stats for Michigan, and it seems quite good. But I heard that the class coming in for Summer 2013 will be the final incoming group. I am not sure if that will influence the program or not.. Does michigan has a prestigious reputation in Wall street or in general?

But I heard that the class coming in for Summer 2013 will be the final incoming group. I am not sure if that will influence the program or not.
I would be worried about this. Find out if there is some truth.
Last I heard, career support for the MFE program will no longer be provided by Ross Business School but by the Engineering school instead since MFE program is under the Engineering school.
There is also some rumor that Ross will open its own Master in Finance program. I haven't seen any announcement about it.

Back