• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Commodities Bootcamp at Baruch

Dan and I have been discussing the possibility of having a commodities Bootcamp at Baruch late in the fall. The Bootcamp would be a full day and would provide an overview of production/extraction, processing, transportation, storage and trading of commodities. If there is sufficient interest, we could break it into separate streams covering crude oil and oil liquid products, natural gas and power, metals, and agriculturals. We would also have a session on the key mathematical/statistical concepts involved, including mean reversion and seasonality. In addition to myself, I'd have several others from my firm lecture. The proceeds would go to a nonprofit.

I recently became the head of commodities risk at a major firm (again - I had this job at the same firm several years ago), so my interest has been driven in part by my refamiliarizing myself with the material involved (and remembering how interesting I found it).

Do you think there would be sufficient interest in this to warrant a full day class? We would probably keep it relatively inexpensive.

hi ken, will you consider the possibility of recording this session in a webcast or video or some sort? Im really interested but im not based in US.

Hi Ken,

Thank you. That's a great idea. I'm in. Hope that the workshop will be opened for non-Baruch students as well (seem like that). I will be in NY from mid of August. Do you know what is the tentative date for the workshop? I'm afraid I won't be around NY before end of July.

Regards,
Laura

Hi Ken,

Thank you. That's a great idea. I'm in. Hope that the workshop will be opened for non-Baruch students as well (seem like that). I will be in NY from mid of August. Do you know what is the tentative date for the workshop? I'm afraid I won't be around NY before end of July.

Regards,
Laura
It's likely we'll do this in November of December.

what will you cover in "trading of commodities"? contract specifications?
is there anything like valuation for commodities?

Ideally, I'd imagine we would discuss basis trading, since that's where most of the action is: time spreads, product spreads, locational spreads, quality spreads, etc. "Valuation" usually means the price on the screen, but if there's enough interest, we could talk about structured transactions.

Back