• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CQF + C++ Certificate + PhD in Signal Processing

Advait - insulting Dr. Daniel Duffy is inexcusable.

Can you please clearly quote posts that lead you to believe that I was "insulting" him ? I was merely stating my opinion that happened to be antagonistic to Daniel's opinions. He was being sarcastic with me so I returned a bit of his medicine to him. What's "insulting" in that ?

You seem to accuse me of "insulting" someone even when it's not blatantly clear. However, when alumni from your program insult me blatantly rather than rationally trying to negate my arguments, you seem to be OK with it. Why is this the case ? Can you confirm that your silence regarding this matter is that you approve of their choice of words/posts/pictures and selectively choose to point out others transgressions as you interpret them?

Advait said: ↑ I have not gone through the topics on the certificate but I'm fairly certain it at best gives you an introduction on C++ and introduces the various tools you have at your disposal. Making disparaging comments about something you do not have real knowledge of is speculative at best, and in this case completely misinforming.

I did do some research after this post and found descriptions of each level on another forum after this post. So, the comments are not entirely speculative.

the lectures are very well designed (Dr. Duffy did a superb job of putting designing the certificate materials)

I'm sure you believe the lectures are well designed and Daniel's doing a good job of designing it! When did I state otherwise ? So, why do you feel the need to point this out explicitly ?

learning C+ with examples and exercises from financial engineering is what the students taking the certificate most benefit from.

I absolutely agree with you that this is an advantage. But, do you really believe that someone who has learned C++ on his own but did not have the access to these exercises would not cope with them if and when he is required to do them ? Do you believe that these exercises are that novel and complex ? Is the underlying math that esoteric ? Personally, most of the underlying math revolves around PDE solution using finite difference, Euler's method, error approximation and MC simulations. There are other areas in science, math and engineering where a combination of these concepts are applied.

I absolutely agree with you that this is an advantage. But, do you really believe that someone who has learned C++ on his own but did not have the access to these exercises would not cope with them if and when he is required to do them ? Do you believe that these exercises are that novel and complex ? Is the underlying math that esoteric ? Personally, most of the underlying math revolves around PDE solution using finite difference, Euler's method, error approximation and MC simulations. There are other areas in science, math and engineering where a combination of these concepts are applied.

Based on our exchanges I doubt if you have the necessary insights or background to make these conclusions. You don't know what you are talking about.

You obviously don't work in Quant Finance FO.

Out of interest, what is your academic background (CS?, ...)

Based on our exchanges I doubt if you have the necessary insights or background to make these conclusions. You don't know what you are talking about.

Can you please elaborate through a series of logical steps as to why do you believe this to be the case ?

Out of interest, what is your academic background (CS?, ...)

Perhaps you should have asked me this question first and then determined whether stating the above post is justified.

Well, based in your erroneous and outdated approach to matrix algebra. And your naiviety.

I guess your background is CS which is fine but I stop listening when you start blowing about Numerical Analysis, which is my own back garden;) You mention Euler that everyone knows, but no one uses it in quant libraries. High-school maths is not enough.

If it was all so easy you could easily get a job on Wall Street if it were not for your attitude. And it is self-inflicted.

Well, based in your erroneous and outdated approach to matrix algebra. And your naiviety.

It's not exactly erroneous. You can use the adjoint method to solve Ax=b via C++ but it is really inconvenient. Your interpretation of my "outdated" approach to matrix algebra and "naiviety" is partially based on what I did in high school. What do you expect ?

Also, there are algorithms on matrix algebra that are even published today in journals that are a slight bit efficient than the ones currently practiced. And, I read a few of these papers till the end of 2011. So, I'm fairly certain that my knowledge is not outdated.

I guess your background is CS which is fine but I stop listening when you start blowing about Numerical Analysis, which is my own back garden;)

My background is not in CS (although I've covered all important CS courses at the Graduate level unofficially) but was pretty heavy on numerical analysis and calculus. My current work is CS heavy. If you want to stop listening since you believe Numerical Analysis is your "back garden", suit yourself. I personally always like to hear others out, assess what they're saying and try to learn and/or make the most of it.

If it was all so easy you could easily get a job on Wall Stree if it were not for your attitude.

If I do want to get a job at Wall Street, I'll try to pay off my current loan (if I can't get a non-collaterized loan for this year with a ~6% rate), try to enroll into UCB MFE > CMU MSCF (and in doing so again get indebted for the next 2-5 years) and try to get a job on "Wall Street". My attitude towards you or towards Baruch MFE in general is almost the complete opposite of what it is if I were to speak with you over the phone or in person under "normal" circumstances.

Advait : I am from India. I probably have a better background and by no mean, I am trying to brag here. I have seen you ranting everywhere and believe me no body likes show off like you. If you have been on a more mature website like Nuclear phynance they would have thrown you off after your very first post. It is the modesty of the forum organizer that you are still around. You sound to me like a self obsessed narcissistic who has never been rejected in his life(according to his opinion). You need to grow up. Now you can go ahead and crib about what I wrote above or you can stop being a wuss and start contributing in a more constructive way to this forum.

Hi All,

I have been following some of the posts on this forum and feel that we need to be mature enough to respect each other's views and accept that there is nothing wrong in having different opinons rather than taking things personally.

I am not favouring anyone here but I strongly feel that a lot of earlier discusions were futile and could have been easily avoided. The forum is meant for all of us to improve our skills. Lets do that by helping each other.

Thanks,
Nitin

Back