• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do online courses/certifactes make my application more attractive to universities?

I'm sure that the Baruch Pre-MFE helps with your candidacy a bit, but unfortunately it seems it is in person classes only (which I can't attend). I'm also quite proficient in C++ thus the online course here wouldn't be worth my time. So, what I'm asking is, would online classes like Intro to FE by Columbia on Coursera or Waterloo's online QFRM program help my candidacy at all? I can probably just self study on my own to achieve a similar level of understanding, but if you guys think these online courses will help then I'll follow through with them.

"Intro to FE" won't help you AT ALL.

I must have said this 10X on this site but it hasn't changed: MFE programs really only care about two things: How employable you are, and will you be able to handle the complexity and workload of the program. "Intro to FE" doesn't address any of these.

Baruch C++ Pre-MFE is an example of a very useful and practical class because it does the following:

• Teaches you C++
  • Certificate from an MFE program
  • Learn C++ in the realm of quant finance (makes you more confident and sound more impressive at interviews)
  • Learn from a C++ legend
Sure you can learn something on your own, but just putting a bullet on your resume doesn't have the hiring impact of either work experience or having studied in a program (online included).

If you do take Pre-MFE programs take very specific ones and avoid the general ones.

Avoid:
  • "Intro to FE"
  • "Quantitative Methods"
  • "Economics"
  • etc.

Take:
  • Advanced Calculus (with financial applications)
  • Python (with financial applications)
  • VBA (with financial applications)
  • etc.
See the difference?

Last edited:
I'm also quite proficient in C++

Fair enough. Which methods did you use to verify this statement? To be honest, many courses only scratch the surface and/or are C with a wee bit of ++, especially university-based courses in general.

If you have industrial experience of C++ then it is a different story of course.

I'm also quite proficient in C++

Fair enough. Which methods did you use to verify this statement? To be honest, many courses only scratch the surface and/or are C with a wee bit of ++, especially university-based courses in general.

If you have industrial experience of C++ then it is a different story of course.

I don't have industrial experience but I've taken Data Structures, Algorithms, Numerical Methods, and HPC courses all using C/C++. I've worked on projects that utilized MPI and OpenMP. I wasn't trying to come off as someone who claims to be an expert, just stating that I don't think the C++ course on here would be worth my time/money.

Again, I would love to take these courses but they're all on site:
  • Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications (on-site; syllabus)
  • Probability Theory for Financial Applications (on-site; syllabus)
  • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering (on-site; syllabus)
Are there any other online courses that would make me more employable or would help on my applications?

No prob. Was just curious :)
Probably the Intro C++ is too easy for you indeed.

Back