• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Doing FE/FM Over Abroad?

I always wanted to study overseas in the UK or another part in Europe for grad school so I am wondering if it is a good idea to study FE/FM. I'm planning on living in America once I graduate from grad school.

Also is learning C++ more important than learning Java?

can't say i've heard of too many places using java.

if you want to work in the us (and are a citizen and you can get into a decent school here), your best bet might be staying here. i don't think ny branches of banks go to london or europe to recruit. if you want to work in europe, then it makes sense.

Just from experience (Interning at GS and BAML in London) I know they seemed to take on interns in London with a view to full time employment in London and although some people went to the USA the majority seemed to stay but work with global teams from London - or at least that was what I gathered from those I met

Not sure if that helps your decision or not.

Also if you want to switch over to C++ from jave its fairly easy to get the initial hang of it and then you can have fun playing with memory management and what not. I found if you compete on something like www.topcoder.com and take one of the past question sets and just spend a long time (even weeks) trying to get your code as efficient as possible you end up reading into algo areas you didn't think existed and start to get the most out of C++, even learning about branch prediction and stuff might not make a huge difference but when you start competing against your personal best it becomes kind of fun. I wouldn't fear it. :)

I'm still at undergrad too and looking at masters / phd there seems to be a cool group here http://www.financialcomputing.org/phd-programme/structure and if you want to talk to a european about what a lot of students over here aim for I'd be happy to chat if you PM me. Just bear in mind I'm an undergrad and not anywhere near as experienced as others on this site.

Back