• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

economics undergrad-> quant.

hello.

I'm actually studying economics in spain. GPA 3.3(year 3 out of 4). I really love numbers and money. I would like to break into the quantitative financial world but I have few handicaps:

- I come from a local university. which means that I don't have the means to achieve an internship in a tier company during summers.
-my competitors are highly skilled engineers,etc.

BUT!!:
-I'm willing to do anything so that I achieve my goals (be a quant). In order to do so (to achieve goals) I'm starting this summer with the following :

1. take TOEFL and GRE test in august (so I'll study all the summer long so I can kill GRE at least)
2. as I need some programming knowledge I will start studying c++ in september (I've thought that I could do the programming course of UCLA)
3. I'll read as much as i can about quantitative analysts and everything related to financial world.
4. I want to apply to a MFE in the USA but I don't know my chances of beig admitted (just an undergrad of economics from a non target university and being spanish are huge handicaps as far as i concern. my only oportunity is killing GRE).
5. instead of applying to a MFE, I can try to get a position as an intern in the coty/wall street
6. I NEED some advice from you guys. What can I do to increse my odds of becoming a quant?

thanks so much

Hi there,
In case you don't know, we run an online C++ course with Baruch MFE program. Since you mentioned the UCLA course, you should check this out as well
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/faq-c-for-financial-engineering-online-course.7376/

If your selling point is killing GRE, I'm afraid it isn't good or unique enough. There are so many people who can get perfect GRE scores these days.
You can read all the books here https://www.quantnet.com/forum/thre...uants-mfe-financial-engineering-students.535/ but you need to be able to do something useful to employers. It looks like your chance to shine is actually to become really good at something technical.
How about learn a programming language, be it C++, C#, VBA, and be very better than all of your competitors?

You can and will get admitted into some MFE programs in the US but without some strong technical skills, it's hard to stand out and find internships, jobs.

hi andy, as an econ undergrad, how do i prove to the admissions that i am "better than all of my competitors"?

Back