• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Excel #value error that isn't one

Hi,
I'm having a major issue with a large spreadsheet I just spent a while working on. Basically I grab historical data from bbg for the benchmark bonds. Then using a function I created it'll calculate the spreads or boxes or butterlys according to user specified codes. It'll then output it into ranges on a new work sheet. Now the funky thing is that on my bosse's computer, it'll return #value for most of the data on the 2nd row.
Now here is the really wierd part, if I simply select the formula (using F2), make no changes, and hit enter, the right value comes out. Apparently he has been having this issue with several other sheets, which could cause a potentially very costly mistake. There are too many cells to be updated to make manual fixing a potential solution.
Calculations are set to automatic, and refreshing the calcutions doesn't work.

Any ideas??

EDIT: We use excel 2003

I have an idea for you, try not to use Excel to manage large amount of data. It might be better to do the heavy lifting outside Excel and use excel just to present the results. That will save you a lot of headaches.

Agree with Alain on this one, but as a shortcut try to use Ctrl+Alt+F9 on your boss computer, it will force full recalculation. Usually in case of your kind of problem it is working :) Also you can try to put a line of code on Workbook_Open event : Application.Calculate, this may help as well.

Then using a function I created...

Where did you create the function? I believe there is an logic import problem...once your function is stored in excel cell, it doesn't recognize the formula for all cells. Once you manually make it apparent, excel reads it correctly. Did you create the function logic in VBA macro?

Back