• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Exchange rate forecast help? Or should I enter a zero cost collar?

We compete in a market where my competitor is international and sets prices in $
Say $2.10 /kg
My raw material is $1.5 so my margin is $0.6 /kg
The catch is that I need to set my selling price 2 months in advance but only pay for raws at the rate on the day of purchase ( assume that forward cover is not an options for the sake of the exercise, I'll explain why later)
If I assume exchange will be 10.7 in 2 months time I need to charge R22.47/ kg
If exchange goes to 11 volumes will be good but my margin will suffer due to increased raws
I will not be able to increase price as I have already committed for 2 months.
If exchange goes to 10 then I will not sell unless in drop price mid month, once gain I loose.

If I can more accurately predict the direction the rand will go, and also pick a number I can optimize our margin.

I have already found that simply being closer to the daily moves helps in the short term especially doing spot negotiations. Following technical analysis on a daily basis is giving me a good weekly view, my objective is to improve my understanding, and if possible pick a forecasting model that I can use to predict the 2 month trend.

Will be easier to just enter a zero cost collar?

I must confess I don't understand the mechanics of your FX hedging needs - it doesn't read very clearly. Regardless, I would not recommend trying to predict where USDZAR will be in 2 months unless it is your job to do so.

Back