• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

(First Post) Is quant trading really the future?

agb

Let me start by saying what an awesome and practical forum/website!

Will quant be the future in terms of profitability and job market versus discretionary trading? I'm still scratching my head in this subjects because I've seen articles that conflict.

You still need traders to come up with strategies. But more of that can be done by quantitative models and research. The execution of trades are going to be pushed towards more automation. So in short, yes.

I think you need to differentiate what you mean by "trading". If what you mean is the execution process in large, relatively liquid markets, then yes. If you are talking about a broader elimination of humans in the decision making process when it comes to allocation of capital, then no, discretionary portfolio management is not going to give meaningful way from where we are today.

Back