• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE FORDHAM or TANDON

Hi everyone, so I got admitted to the MFE at NYU Tandon and also got an interview invitation to Fordham MSQF. Just wondering if anyone may help provide some comparison of the pros and cons of these two programs and if I should do the interview for Fordham? Appreciate all thoughts and advice, thanks so much!

Fordham MSQF is dogshit. They need to hire quality faculty not find guinea pigs for irrelevant program. I would take the money and go on a world trip.

Hi everyone, so I got admitted to the MFE at NYU Tandon and also got an interview invitation to Fordham MSQF. Just wondering if anyone may help provide some comparison of the pros and cons of these two programs and if I should do the interview for Fordham? Appreciate all thoughts and advice, thanks so much!

Fordham MSQF is dogshit. They need to hire quality faculty not find guinea pigs for irrelevant program. I would take the money and go on a world trip.

Thanks Philip! Also, wondering if you have studied at Fordham or know someone who has experiences with the program? What you think about the Program at NYU Tandon then?

I haven't but linkedin could be good source. Open any standard Quant finance textbooks and if you can't find few names from the reference sections in the faculty lineup good enough reason to give the program a miss. $6oK is a too high price to not listen from the horse's mouth.

Thanks Philip! Also, wondering if you
have studied at Fordham or know someone who has experiences with the program? What you think about the Program at NYU Tandon then?

Hello @DamienKYC - We're hosting an informational webinar tomorrow with further insight into the NYU Tandon MSFE. If you're an applicant, you likely already received the information for the event; however, if you did not receive the invite and would like to join the webinar, please contact me at sara.tomeo@nyu.edu and I can provide you with the details.

Hello @DamienKYC - We're hosting an informational webinar tomorrow with further insight into the NYU Tandon MSFE. If you're an applicant, you likely already received the information for the event; however, if you did not receive the invite and would like to join the webinar, please contact me at sara.tomeo@nyu.edu and I can provide you with the details.
Hi Sara, I registered for the event already, thank you so much for the info!

I heard Tandon is admitting excessive numbers of applicants. Assumingly, the class size would be huge so I wonder what kind of T/S ratio that would be...

From everything I found online sourced during the past years, until today, the two programs have about equal quality (all factors like courses, placements, reputation, etc).

It is noticed that for this year Tandon becomes harder to get in (standard tests, GPA, etc). However, the quality of a program should not mostly depend on its students' hard profile, neither should it depend on the change of one single significant person of the program.

In my opinion, From the perspective of learning, MSQF will be a better choice for you @DamienKYC.

I assume that you already got enough information from this site discussing about Tandon, so in case you need, here is the email of the Fordham MSQF program director, Professor Douglas Blackburn: blackburn@fordham.edu.

Good luck!

Last edited:
honestly I would rather pay for a Master in mathematics at a state university than pay for Fordham.

honestly I would rather pay for a Master in mathematics at a state university than pay for Fordham.

Well it truly depends on your goal, and your ambition for your life. Of course you can and should go master in mathematics in state or community college if you think that's what you need, instead of MFE that combining Math, Finance and CS knowledge to be for example a future quant or a high-level trader.

You can also chose to pay tuition only for a brand or a big name (of a school or whatever), but later you will realize and have to accept that what truly matters for your life is what you have actually learned instead these trivial things. I researched MSQF in detail, and one point besides good reputation, it seems like their curriculum is the best, and prepare us for the most, while students need to work harder than those of most other programs. I can tell you that this is always the life that I enjoy and this philosophy never brings me bad outcomes.

Different people have different goals, my opinion may not be suitable for your goal, but I would say if I applied for both and both accepted me, I would definitely choose Fordham. Please do some research before making groundless claims.

Last edited:
fordham is not known for mathematics, not known for computer science.
it's possible they have a decent mba, who knows but relatively speaking they don't compare to what's already done in new york.

I would never spend money on fordham, hell no, I'd rather take my money travel the world, maybe study at a french or swiss elite university for cheap, and eat croissants everyday.

it's possible they have a decent mba, who knows but relatively speaking they don't compare to what's already done in new york.

I would never spend money on fordham, hell no, I'd rather take my money travel the world, maybe study at a french or swiss elite university for cheap, and eat croissants everyday.

Again it is because you did not research their MSQF and here you are making claims.

It is your choice to be provincial or not ( cough traveling around the world cough)

Did you take the GRE before? Okay let me ask you, does "Fordham not known for Math or CS" means "MSQF is not good at these skills or teaching these?"

Besides more than required level of math and CS for a MFE, we cannot ignore the finance part; people who took the program before, commented that the level of MSQF finance is about equal to national ranked #70-#80 Phd Finance program. No one said it is easy, but it is worthwhile. Again people have different goals, I have my reason preferring Fordham QF over many others including Tandon MFE.

Last edited:
??

You can also chose to pay tuition only for a brand or a big name (of a school or whatever), but later you will realize and have to accept that what truly matters for your life is what you have actually learned instead these trivial things.

yeah, seems like aaron here is trying to justify a little too much a poor decision he might have made. I mean, It's possible on earth-2 fordham is actually the harvard of that universe, not on this earth though :whistle:

yeah, seems like aaron here is trying to justify a little too much a poor decision he might have made. I mean, It's possible on earth-2 fordham is actually the harvard of that universe, not on this earth though :whistle:

Maybe because we are in the different economic stage? I don't care it is 30k or 60k or 90k as long as I get what the industry think as valuable. You can say whatever you want but MSQF has everything you mentioned, reputation, placement, resources from the business school. I would say NYU MSMF, CMU, Columbia MFE, UCLA are better programs in some way, but not like the groundless claim you made okay? What you ended up with by the way, before you care about other people's business?

p.s. I saw one of you guys reply disappeared, but my reply partly for that as well.

Last edited:
Back