• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE FORDHAM or TANDON

Which are those reasons?

I think I already implied a lot of them in the previous posts.

For the MSQF program (I do not say the business school nor the whole university), includes but not limited to great reputation, over 90% full time placement 3-6 months, small size and great location (Manhattan), the best resources that provided by the whole business school and extremely focus on individual's internship and development, the heaviest workload as well as the one of the best foundation for most MFEs (can take a look at their curriculum, maybe one drawback some will say is relatively less flexibility, but which is a actually great thing from my view).

For the MSQF program (I do not say the business school nor the whole university), includes but not limited to great reputation, over 90% full time placement 3-6 months, small size and great location (Manhattan), the best resources that provided by the whole business school and extremely focus on individual's internship and development, the heaviest workload as well as the one of the best foundation for most MFEs (can take a look at their curriculum, maybe one drawback some will say is relatively less flexibility, but which is a actually great thing from my view).
I might agree with everything except the "great reputation" bit.

I've lived in NY for 20+ years. Fordham might be known for a lot of things. Quant Finance is not one of them.

Yes I have to admit that you have a heavier voice than me to comment on this reputation thing, generally speaking.

Still, from what I learned, MSQF is a relatively new program rising in the recent years, this might be a reason (that you did not hear about it quite a lot); most relevant position employers in NYC know the quality of the students from here however. Also, it might be the case that either you or I misused the term reputation. What I meant is about the feedback from previous graduates (this part truly outweighs Tandon) / history data of employment results (for this I don't think Tandon has its data for the past, but I personally think Tandon is a rising program as well; notice that I did not insult on whatever I do not like, like some other person who posted replies did, respect is important in sites like this!).

p.s. For international students, there are in fact a lot of voices and appreciations from international students graduated from MSQF (fulfilled their short-term goals). Today MSQF is no doubt the best of Fordham or its business school.

Last edited:
Yes I have to admit that you have a heavier voice than me to comment on this reputation thing, generally speaking.

Still, from what I learned, MSQF is a relatively new program rising in the recent years, this might be a reason (that you did not hear about it quite a lot); most relevant position employers in NYC know the quality of the students from here, however. Also, it might be the case that either you or I misused the term reputation. What I meant is about the feedback from previous graduates (this part truly outweighs Tandon) / history data of employment results (for this I don't think Tandon has its data for the past, but I personally think Tandon is a rising program as well; notice that I did not insult on whatever I do not like, like some other person who posted replies did, respect is important in sites like this!).

p.s. For international students, there are in fact a lot of voices and appreciations from international students graduated from MSQF (fulfilled their short-term goals).

Listening to one of my MSQF friend's suggestion, I will stop here and not spending more time on the meaningless arguments.

Listening to one of my MSQF friend's suggestion, I will stop here and not spending more time on the meaningless arguments.
there's really no point to argue anymore.
From my point of view, this is not an argument. I just want to know more about the Fordham program. Previous reviews on QN had the MSQF program as something really bad.

The current reviews on the the review page sound more like fluff without real information.

I'm glad current students defend their program. It would be much better if you submit reviews to Andy. I think he has a form for that now so the review is sort of standard and prospective students can make a fair comparison.

Also when @Aaron_Niu mentioned "great reputation", I had to do a double take. I tried to avoid mentioning reputation because that's a crutch and doesn't bring anything to the table.

From my point of view, this is not an argument. I just want to know more about the Fordham program. Previous reviews on QN had the MSQF program as something really bad.

The current reviews on the the review page sound more like fluff without real information.

I'm glad current students defend their program. It would be much better if you submit reviews to Andy. I think he has a form for that now so the review is sort of standard and prospective students can make a fair comparison.

Also when @Aaron_Niu mentioned "great reputation", I had to do a double take. I tried to avoid mentioning reputation because that's a crutch and doesn't bring anything to the table.
I didn't mean it, just didn't want to see some cursing on previous posts, which is not supposed to appear on a educational/professional forum

You are way overselling the Fordham brand because Fordham doesn't have even any brand equity.
Most MFE programs are on a fight for survival as the market has shrank and you need to heavily leverage the school brand, faculty connections, established alumni base to grab the depleting opportunities...these are obvious facts and doesn't need to be repeated.

The top programs offer an acceptable risk/ reward ratio where spending $60-80k has a fair chance of return but not Fordham with a high price/mediocre teachers/ less than stellar brand and returns equivalent being to a Stats/ Maths degree than can be fetched for $20k

Sorry that I came back because I logged on to the account and there are some notifications.

I believe there will be more reviews in the future from current or future students, according to Andy.

"Previous reviews on QN had the MSQF program as something really bad.", this is a ridiculous and wrong argument. Are two five full stars bad? I do not know what you mean by previous reviews, but I had also see a lot from many other sources, including those in different languages, and they are all either appreciations or commenting on the workloads. Truly, I done tons of research on this program. At here, the only thing you or maybe I should admit is that there is no enough data yet.

Last edited:
You are way overselling the Fordham brand because Fordham doesn't have even any brand equity.
Most MFE programs are on a fight for survival as the market has shrank and you need to heavily leverage the school brand, faculty connections, established alumni base to grab the depleting opportunities...these are obvious facts and doesn't need to be repeated.

The top programs offer an acceptable risk/ reward ratio where spending $60-80k has a fair chance of return but not Fordham with a high price/mediocre teachers/ less than stellar brand and returns equivalent being to a Stats/ Maths degree than can be fetched for $20k

I respect your idea this time, and I do agree that brand matters in some cases. Since you are not graduated from this program, neither a recruiter facing MSQF students, so let's see.

p.s. the best thing I like the program is their rigorous curriculum. Placement rate is the second best. The moral is that finance people, or I myself, sometimes dig in to anything's real value instead of focusing on only superficial outside.

Good luck with you guys' study and choices as well.

Moreover as an ad student thank you for the interest for the program. Meanwhile, I agree with you for the last paragraph.

I respect your idea this time, and I do agree that brand matters in some cases. Since you are not graduated from this program, neither a recruiter facing MSQF students, so let's see.

p.s. the best thing I like the program is their rigorous curriculum. Placement rate is the second best. The moral is that finance people, or I myself, sometimes dig in to anything's real value instead of focusing on only superficial outside.

Good luck with you guys' study and choices as well.

And again MATH/STATS is NOT MFE. I've mentioned in my previous post,

Each person has a different goal, while on the other hand you invest 30k you may get say at most 80k in a year which approaches say 100k for the entire professional life; in other cases you invest in 60k you still get 80k in the first year but you have far better growth prospective for the long term, combining with what has been learned, skill sets, devotion for the industry, characteristics nurtured and ambition (all differs for different programs). It's a complicated question rather than a simple return-on-investment problem because even if you graduate from say B.S Math you can still get 60-80k (it depends individually). I claim that I personally could get a 60k placement in six months with my background enough, if I was actually seeking for jobs rather than taking an MFE. So this is a meaningless argument for the post and kind of out of topic. Within a certain scope, each mfe program has its advantages over the others and people have preferences.

Last edited:
question what are these jobs/fields that start at 80k and top off at 100k?

question what are these jobs/fields that start at 80k and top off at 100k?

It's simple if you stay at one occupation or in similar occupation with different companies and no big change/promotion. Still if you do not agree then we can start from 50k and ended at 100k, because this was trivial and far from the point.

I will stop here for now. But welcome any future related suggestions/comments/advices/questions/even challenges, or you can message directly to my account here. In recent days I am going to post the information of the WeChat group for MSQF ad&come students. Thanks.

-------
Besides, @DamienKYC, for the whole post, the following I wrote before maybe one of the best answers I could give, almost undoubted:

Q: Which are those reasons?
"A: I think I already implied a lot of them in the previous posts.

For the MSQF program (I do not say the business school nor the whole university), includes but not limited to great reputation, over 90% full time placement 3-6 months, small size and great location (Manhattan), the best resources that provided by the whole business school and extremely focus on individual's internship and development, the heaviest workload as well as the one of the best foundation for most MFEs (can take a look at their curriculum, maybe one drawback some will say is relatively less flexibility, but which is a actually great thing from my view)."

"Still, from what I learned, MSQF is a relatively new program rising in the recent years, this might be a reason (that you did not hear about it quite a lot); most relevant position employers in NYC know the quality of the students from here however. Also, it might be the case that either you or I misused the term reputation. What I meant is about the feedback from previous graduates (this part truly outweighs Tandon) / history data of employment results (for this I don't think Tandon has its data for the past, but I personally think Tandon is a rising program as well; notice that I did not insult on whatever I do not like, like some other person who posted replies did, respect is important in sites like this!).

p.s. For international students, there are in fact a lot of voices and appreciations from international students graduated from MSQF (fulfilled their short-term goals). Today MSQF is no doubt the best of Fordham or its business school.
"

Last edited:
The beauty of the Fordham Program that it covers a lot of the concept from stochastic calculus, derivatives, and probability. Those concepts have been heavily tested in Quant interviews.

Few words about the professors, many of them are business professionals who hold the Quant position in the large banks, Asset management firms, Hedge funds and etc.

Other professors from academia, who wrote many research papers about the financial market. For example,

Professor Douglas W. Blackburn: Author Page for Douglas W. Blackburn :: SSRN

Professor Yi Tanghttps://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=481381

Professor Raw Chen is the author of Financial Mathematics book: https://www.amazon.com/Financial-Ma...kmr0&keywords=raw+chen+financial+mathematicks

and many more.

Regarding quant net ranking, it's buyest toward Baruch College, as Andy is an alumina student from Baruch MFE. However, I am happy that there are some ranking available out there.

Back