• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Georgia Tech Online CS Master?

I am a math and econ undergrad and I am going to grad school in financial engineering in the coming year. However, I really want to learn more programming (both out of interest and practical reasons) and I saw GIT has this online part-time program and got many courses I am interested. I am thinking about the possibilities to take this program in my free time.

Is this a legit program? Since it takes three years (1-2 courses per semester), is it possible to handle this workload while working as a quant?

Very legit, course rigor is quite comparable to the on-campus program, which is ranked top 10. I read some courses can take up to 20hrs/week. OMSCS has a reddit page. Course reviews are at omscentral.com, and many courses look decent.

Very legit, course rigor is quite comparable to the on-campus program, which is ranked top 10. I read some courses can take up to 20hrs/week. OMSCS has a reddit page. Course reviews are at omscentral.com, and many courses look decent.

This is so helpful! Thank you so much!

I only took four core CS courses (including discrete math, two intros using python and java and a data structure in C++). Do you think it will be very challenging for someone without a comprehensive training in CS?

This is so helpful! Thank you so much!

I only took four core CS courses (including discrete math, two intros using python and java and a data structure in C++). Do you think it will be very challenging for someone without a comprehensive training in CS?

I haven't done it and I don't have a formal CS background, but my impression from reading the reviews on reddit is that it would be very challenging. I have a friend doing OMSCS who studied math and works in data science/machine learning full-time, and he finds the p-sets for machine learning and algorithms take 10-15hr/week, and that's with collaborating with another friend who also studied math. Some of the CS courses are more like math courses, which are more challenging. The applied courses are slightly easier. Most students in the program are part-time and it seems like most enjoy the learning, despite the challenge and time commitment.

omscentral.com indicates course difficulty and course rating (challenging, interesting, good instruction, etc.)

I haven't done it and I don't have a formal CS background, but my impression from reading the reviews on reddit is that it would be very challenging. I have a friend doing OMSCS who studied math and works in data science/machine learning full-time, and he finds the p-sets for machine learning and algorithms take 10-15hr/week, and that's with collaborating with another friend who also studied math. Some of the CS courses are more like math courses, which are more challenging. The applied courses are slightly easier. Most students in the program are part-time and it seems like most enjoy the learning, despite the challenge and time commitment.

omscentral.com indicates course difficulty and course rating (challenging, interesting, good instruction, etc.)
I see. Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it:)

Back