• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Getting into Finance

I am a software developer by trade, 3 years experience in .NET and I work on a large scale system. I do pretty much everything from front-end to mobile(android) and backend work. Through school I have experience with R, python and C++ (designing a video game). I also went to law school and graduated in 2012 and I majored in corporate finance/taxation and intellectual property. I really enjoyed corporate finance and securities, but my passion laid in computers and math more so I became a developer.

I'm in school doing my Master's in Computer Science, and I am specializing in Data Science. Most of my courses are things like Regression Analysis, Time Series Forecasting, Monte Carlo Algorithms. I'm also taking Social network analysis and artificial intelligence/machine learning.

I have 1 year left and when I graduate, I want to get a job in the financial industry.

I love math. Its my favorite subject and its one I spend my free time reading about. That being said, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I can be any type of quant just yet. I know my strength is in development, and I would like to exploit that.

My grades, well they are okay. I've had some health issues that forced me to take a leave of absence, but since then I'm in much better shape, healthy in fact. I work hard and I learn very very quickly.

Is there a particular path I could look into to get into the finance industry, and particularly quant in the future?

Or should I focus on the Big Data aspect?

im not into the big data stuff. but i have a feeling it is the way to go rite now

many companies just get started this big data thing. if you get into such a place that also actually values big data analytics, u will surely have a easier and brighter future than say the average bb quant developer

Big Data seems to be all the rage in Tech, I'm not really sure how it is in Finance as its not my area right now.

Back