• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GPA2.5 but cleared cfa3 frm2 any chance still??

You should check the minimum GPA requirement for each program before submitting anything. For example, Columbia requires a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0. It would a waste of time and money to apply in those cases.

You should check the minimum GPA requirement for each program before submitting anything. For example, Columbia requires a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0. It would a waste of time and money to apply in those cases.
yeah but I knew some cases when the threshold were breached...just curious in which conditions that the breach could happen.

so far,according to my search the only school declaring the consideration of progress on certificate exams is ucla. isn't mfe practical and investment/hedge fund tiled to weigh more on hard core credential over overall UG classes....so sad

Have you taken GRE? If your excuse for having low GPA is lack of ability to communicate in English well, good verbal/essay scores would probably matter more than in average cases.

A good track record of relevant work experience might (should) compensate lower GPA but I don't know if CFA/FRM would have as much impact. If you know such cases where people got admitted with below "minimum" GPAs, maybe you can get their opinion on the matter?

Have you taken GRE? If your excuse for having low GPA is lack of ability to communicate in English well, good verbal/essay scores would probably matter more than in average cases.

A good track record of relevant work experience might (should) compensate lower GPA but I don't know if CFA/FRM would have as much impact. If you know such cases where people got admitted with below "minimum" GPAs, maybe you can get their opinion on the matter?

so true that the GRE can be as a prove of the language improvement. for those gpa outliers who got admitted I just know they were in but no profile details , anyway they must outperform in other criteria.

The easiest way to prove that you're qualified would be having a decent work experience. I can't think of CFA/FRM being valued as much as that. Why don't you drop a few emails to the top programs, explain your situation and see what they say?

The easiest way to prove that you're qualified would be having a decent work experience. I can't think of CFA/FRM being valued as much as that. Why don't you drop a few emails to the top programs, explain your situation and see what they say?
well I thought mba want candidates having awesome experience from big name..... you say mfe as well??oh no...o_O

will send them emails about my horrible background and see how they respond. thx😉😉😉

I mean, professional programs are judged by their ability to help you land jobs. Candidates that have either stellar academic background or excellent work experience, or even both, would be easier to place into top work places, so it's understandable that they'll be preferred over applicants who have neither.

I mean, professional programs are judged by their ability to help you land jobs. Candidates that have either stellar academic background or excellent work experience, or even both, would be easier to place into top work places, so it's understandable that they'll be preferred over applicants who have neither.
almost agree with you. but did you imply cfa/frm dont help in landing a job...?? another point is ppl already having awesome job might have moderate motive to quit and study one whole year at expense around 100k usd?

I didn't imply that, I only said that they might not be valued as much as relevant work experience. Then again I've never been in a university admission team so my guess is as good as yours. That's why I suggested that you reach out to them and see how they respond.

I didn't imply that, I only said that they might not be valued as much as relevant work experience. Then again I've never been in a university admission team so my guess is as good as yours. That's why I suggested that you reach out to them and see how they respond.
thank you my friend hopefully see you guys somewhere on campus(y)🙂

These are very competitive programs, so they need a way to filter. It's not personal. Also consider every person with a shitty GPA has a very good reason. Often past GPA is seen as predictor of future GPA. At the same time, many have perfectly successful careers without an MFE.

These are very competitive programs, so they need a way to filter. It's not personal. Also consider every person with a shitty GPA has a very good reason. Often past GPA is seen as predictor of future GPA. At the same time, many have perfectly successful careers without an MFE.
yes UG overall gpa reflects many qualities but they are all undergraduate-level,,, aren't cfa/frm(both graduate level and only about core finance/quant finance able to forecast candidates' possible academic performance in mfe academic year more precisely and powerfully???

Back