• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GPA2.5 but cleared cfa3 frm2 any chance still??

there are curriculum posted online for each program and the only courses ppl did cfa/frm are not familiar with are coding??maybe I am wrong.
MIT has probably the most overlap, with a lot of corporate finance. For other programs, the descriptions sound similar, but are not. The main difference is that in CFA, you value swaps, options, etc given a rate curve. In MFE, the curve is random. The little bastard hops around on you and you need a lot of probability to pin that down. See Steve Shreves or Dan Stefanicas book to get a better feel. So the descriptions kind of rhyme, but it’s a different song altogether.

yes UG overall gpa reflects many qualities but they are all undergraduate-level,,, aren't cfa/frm(both graduate level and only about core finance/quant finance able to forecast candidates' possible academic performance in mfe academic year more precisely and powerfully???
You might be overweighting the finance and underweighting the mathematics.

there is one way to find out for certain. Apply.

MIT has probably the most overlap, with a lot of corporate finance. For other programs, the descriptions sound similar, but are not. The main difference is that in CFA, you value swaps, options, etc given a rate curve. In MFE, the curve is random. The little bastard hops around on you and you need a lot of probability to pin that down. See Steve Shreves or Dan Stefanicas book to get a better feel. So the descriptions kind of rhyme, but it’s a different song altogether.

well thx for the details, I found ppl on LinkedIn pursue cfa/frm after graduation from mfe program?,,,and top mfe's prerequisite maths doesn't seem rigorous, linear algebra, partial diff, I checked some top5 they don't even require stochastic process (to be honest I was taught a lot of those topics in high school in china) so to me MFE is pretty practical it's about paying for an entry to job market rather than academically intense like Phd.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Since GPA is included in the MFE rankings, maybe consider applying to the larger programs. They can afford to have a few well below the average and still have a high overall avg GPA. I wouldn’t spend time on Princeton, for example, since they admit 20-25 per year and have a high avg GPA.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Since GPA is included in the MFE rankings, maybe consider applying to the larger programs. They can afford to have a few well below the average and still have a high overall avg GPA. I wouldn’t spend time on Princeton, for example, since they admit 20-25 per year and have a high avg GPA.
thx for your suggestion it's utterly reasonable and feasible!! (y)

Keep in mind it's less about what you really know but more what the universities think you know. Saying "I studied linear algebra and probability theory back in high school" won't be as convincing as taking some accredited university courses.

Keep in mind it's less about what you really know but more what the universities think you know. Saying "I studied linear algebra and probability theory back in high school" won't be as convincing as taking some accredited university courses.
I 've learned these in the college haha thx for your reminding~:sneaky:

that's tough. No one really knows the weighting for cfa and frm but I doubt it's a deal breaker imo. I would try to get relevant work experience and personal projects to prove to admission that you're really committed to this field, and obviously kill the GRE's. If you got all those down, I would apply everywhere and cross ma fingers. Otherwise getting a quant job isn't impossible without mfe

that's tough. No one really knows the weighting for cfa and frm but I doubt it's a deal breaker imo. I would try to get relevant work experience and personal projects to prove to admission that you're really committed to this field, and obviously kill the GRE's. If you got all those down, I would apply everywhere and cross ma fingers. Otherwise getting a quant job isn't impossible without mfe
thx all boys and gals here your support are hugeeeee:giggle::giggle: opening my gre word book now

Back