• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hedge Funds or IB? MSc. Application Timelines?

Currently applying for PhDs but also looking at Finance...

Should I Focus on Hedge Funds or IBs?
I'm averaging over 90% on an MSc. in Theoretical Physics - largely the same as the TP route in Cambridge's Part III (notes and tutorials are the same). See my linkedin for modules - recently swapped a few pure S2 modules for relevant applied maths

How do MSc. students apply for grad programmes? I'm in a physics dept. so largely lacking in this info.
I've talked with guys from both Citi and Deutsche who came to our uni for quick meet-n-greets. They both seemed unaware that MSc. students finished in Sept. One junior analyst said, like him, I should work on my dissertation at the same time as starting work - avoiding a scathing remark, I will just say this isn't an option in TP
How do typical MFE students generally go about this?

With Relevance to both Questions
8m internship experience as Equity/Commodity Quant in IB Model Val.
Experience in Python development, web scraping and data architectures in SQL
Working on a paper in Deep Stochastic Machine Learning - hope to get published as a co-author

I do not have the hours to go through more than a couple of the long IB applications. We are all working 12-14hrs 7-days/wk to just stay on top of the high volume workload so I can't take out more than perhaps 4 days between now and Christmas for interviews / assessment centres

Back