• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

HELP! LOW GRE SCORE

I have taken the GRE thrice with following scores:

GRE1: Q:160 V:163
GRE2: Q:159 V:166
GRE3: Q:162 V:161

I have strong background with a computer engineering degree and I have also cleared the CFA L1 and FRM P1 examinations. With relevant internships and MOOCs, will I get a spot in the good quant programs for Fall 2020? If not, what do you suggest I should do?

Definitely retake GRE. It's hard to imagine someone from a quantitative/engineering program not getting at least a nearly perfect score on Quant part. I mean, shouldn't GRE Quant be way easier than most of your Computer Science exams?

Retake gre. Don't even bother studying for the verbal section (seems like you got it down). Just keep doing problems for quantitative and see what ur doing wrong. There is no reason why you can't get 170 or a score close to it, keep at it

Definitely retake GRE. It's hard to imagine someone from a quantitative/engineering program not getting at least a nearly perfect score on Quant part. I mean, shouldn't GRE Quant be way easier than most of your Computer Science exams?
That's true, the actual math questions are not difficult at all, I think I am just not a good test-taker. Somehow, my mind just freezes up during the quant sections.

Retake gre. Don't even bother studying for the verbal section (seems like you got it down). Just keep doing problems for quantitative and see what ur doing wrong. There is no reason why you can't get 170 or a score close to it, keep at it
I probably will retake it, the only thing I am concerned about is if it will be too late and there'll be a decision on my application before I can retake it.

Work on your accuracy and retake GRE.

Even if your new results won't make it for Fall 2020 admissions, it won't harm them. At best it'll make it in time and you'd have improved your chances (or you'd have been admitted with your lower scores in the first place). At worst you can improve your chances for next year.

The averages are listed in the ranking. They are also available on the individual websites.

They are averages. So you may be fine if you’re 1 or 2 points below for your target program.

Magoosh is your best GRE retake prep friend. Throttled both quant and verbal. FWIW, I applied w a little higher than your scores, rejected a bunch of places. Retake, extra math classes, and boom. In. No one even asked about CFA charter.

Personally, I got a 166 the first time i took it without really studying. I took one of the free powerprep tests and got a 170, so I thought it would be fine to just take it. I retook the test and got a 170 by studying from the two powerprep test and buying two more of them from the ETS website.

An advice that really helped me to go from 163 to 168 is to realize that if taken singularly the questions are definitely doable and that you have all the time you need to go through all of them. Once I stopped warrying about the time, I started to focus on each question at a time, without really panicking because of the time and that really helped. So my final advice is: forget about the exam and just do one question at a time and get it right.

Hi! I recommend Manhattan 5lb book and its books related to strategies per subject (geometry, word problems, number properties, etc..). They helped me raise my score from 163 to 170 in the quantitative portion of the GRE. All the best!!!!

Back