• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

HELP: Master thesis: Which methods do I need?

Hello there quanti-experts! :)

First of all, I hope it is ok to put this in a new thread. If not, please move it to the right thread and tell me where it is, I'm new here and do not really know how things are done here! :)

So to my thread:
I conducted an online survey and should have enough responses (150+ to 300+, depending on the subrgoups I look at) for most puposes. I want to research the impact/relationship of some constructs on other constructs to confirm or deny my hypotheses (maybe also for different subgroups):
a)
E.g. economic value -> repurchase intention -> actual usage/acquisition (= the respective impacts/relationships)
All are latent and besides actual usage all constructs where measured with at least three items.
b)
I also would like to find out e.g. whether the impact of economic value on repurchase intention is stronger than the impact of e.g. functional value on repurchase intention. To compare the influenceing variables/constructs.

I have the following questions:
What kind of analyzes do I need to run? I forgot most about my statistics classes although I had quite good grades, just because it is so long ago.
I guess I'll have to check for t-test, p-value and many more but you already see, I don't remember hwat they were there for and how to measure them: What do I need to measure and analyze besides t-test?
E.g. Chi-value or something? Will I need Cronbach's α? What is it for? What else do I need?
Short info:
The constructs are adopted are taken from different renowned authors/studies (so my combination is new) as well as the items used. Do I need to test them again, e.g. the structural model or anything?
My advisor wants me to use SMART PLS, is that program helpful/desirable?
Do oyu have literature you can recommend for someone who doesn't remember all this stuff?
Do I need robustness checks and if yes which/how to do them?

If more information is needed to give me answers I'll happily provide it!

Hope you can help!

Kind regards

Zytozid

Long post.
I reckon these questions would be an essential part of your thesis which you need to research into?

Sounds like you need to do the spadework yourself.

hth

Dear Daniel,

Yeah, I see. It's not like I want someone else to do my work, to the contrary. But to get to know literature/weblinks that I can use to get back on the statistics/quantitative research track? I'm just a little confused about where I should start. As I said, I had excellent grades in the courses it's just been so long.
Also, I don't want anyone to calculate my results or tell me exactly how to execute it but an explanation or at least mention of the things I probably need to do would be already nice.
Else I'd have to rely on old scripts from my courses. :)

Thanks for your fast reply!

Kind regards

Zytozid

No problem.

A possible start is to do a mini-project/feasibility study/Proof of Concept for ~ 10% of your project time to precisely address your questions before jumping head first into a full-blown thesis?

Question: can the supervisor throw some light on the topic?

==
A thesis is like a project.

Last edited:
Back