• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to test pairs trading strategy positive returns if I thought the returns with this hypotheses

I have a problem understanding the logical way to test returns of pairs trading.
Say you think your positive pairs trade returns are due to pairs trades you made on small stocks (measured by market capitalization).
how would you test this hypothesis?
What regression equations would you use, and what would your null and alternative hypotheses be on the coefficients?
If your positive pair trade returns are indeed from trades on small stocks, would you expect to accept or reject the null hypotheses for your coefficients?

Would you show similar positive returns if you apply the same strategy to trading big cap stocks? if you do, you can possibly reject your hypothesis that the positive returns were attributed solely to you pair-trading small stocks.

I have a problem understanding the logical way to test returns of pairs trading.
Say you think your positive pairs trade returns are due to pairs trades you made on small stocks (measured by market capitalization).
how would you test this hypothesis?
What regression equations would you use, and what would your null and alternative hypotheses be on the coefficients?
If your positive pair trade returns are indeed from trades on small stocks, would you expect to accept or reject the null hypotheses for your coefficients?

Check to make sure the pairs are cointegrated first, you may have just gotten lucky. Try Johansen or Engle-Granger methods.

Back