• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Imperial MathFin Imperial Math. Fin - Finance or quant?

Hi!

I have an offer for at the MSc in Mathematics and Finance at Imperial College, London.
I don´t really know what the big differences between this program and for example the MSc in Finance at Imperial are, other than that the Mathematics and Finance program is more mathematical.

Would you say that the Mathematics and Finance program is a MFE/quant-ish type education?

Thank you.

There should be no much difference between the two I think. As for the mathematics and its application to finance (MFE), it is really a quant-ish type education. However you should choose between MFE and MSc due to its differences and your goals.

Hi!

I have an offer for at the MSc in Mathematics and Finance at Imperial College, London.
I don´t really know what the big differences between this program and for example the MSc in Finance at Imperial are, other than that the Mathematics and Finance program is more mathematical.

Would you say that the Mathematics and Finance program is a MFE/quant-ish type education?

Thank you.

Hello ecanif,

I've also applied for this program and waited for the decision for more than two month...
Would you mind sharing your background with us?
And when did you submit the application and when receive the offer?
thx!

Hello ecanif,

I've also applied for this program and waited for the decision for more than two month...
Would you mind sharing your background with us?
And when did you submit the application and when receive the offer?
thx!
Hi!

My background is undergraduate engineering mathematics (still an undergraduate) with quite a lot of
stochastic processes, probability theory and some finance.
I submitted the application around early February and received notification around the the 20th of February.

From this reply on WM

I am not an Alumnus of Math. Fin. at Imperial College, but I know people who have attended it recently.

Definitely there is a lot of abstract work to be done, but the MSc is open only to people from Maths and Engineering, so I don't think it is the main problem.
The main problem is that, as a course, it is orribly organised. You will need a strong grounding in probability theory and stochastic calculus, so what they tell you, i.e. that a general maths background is fine, is not true. It is fine to get a low mark with a lot of sweat, but not to excel, as probability theory and stochastic calculus will be given for granted, completely. I think they should have been more honest, and organise pre-courses on these topics, or at least make this requirement clear, rather than just expand their pool of students by fishing in Maths faculties generically.

Also, beware: the fact that there are famous teachers does not necessarily mean they will deliver a good course (which is what you pay for). I know people complaining that they have done say American or spread options BEFORE doing anything on vanilla options, or introducing the Black-Scholes formula. And quite often they didn't have notes (or correct notes)/exercises with solutions etc. Also, together with the famous teachers, there are a number of lecturers which go there just to get "Imperial College" on their CV, meaning that the pool of teachers is not stable. This messes up notes, exams, etc. as there is no continuity. And even information on deadlines, events or class cancellations (so, pure administrative work here) is poor. In general the course is quite messy on this front, which is disappointing, given how much it costs.
That said, placement is excellent. If, in exchange for placement, you are ready to take very interesting topics with very (and I mean "very") poor service, that is the place to go. Be ready to sweat a lot, and not necessarily because of what you study, but because of poor organisation.

From this reply on WM
Does this mean that the programme is over-valued? I.e. is it really worth paying that amount of money if the programme isn't that good?

There is a lot to "beware of" in the post, but there must be some up-sides? Even though it seems as the programme itself is very theoretical, does this mean that one cannot get a ''real'' job after getting ones degree? Or does the programme/university just spit out Phd-students? Will I ever have an advantage in studying at Imperial, at the MSc in Mathematics and Finance, compared to other schools and/or programmes?

Does this mean that the programme is over-valued? I.e. is it really worth paying that amount of money if the programme isn't that good?
I'm not particularly familiar with UK programs but for the US programs, the cost hardly is a signal for quality of the program. Even the relatively unknown programs here are very expensive. We are talking about 50K-70K for a program on average.

Take a look at this 2009 ranking and see the tuition of the bottom 10th programs to the top 10th.

Thank you for your quick response!

I think the UK has a very high overall cost, whether you study art, science or history.

What do you think is the main difference between the US- and the UK-programmes (except for the tuition-fees obviously)? Most of them seem to be covered in ~1 year, but what about the content? Do you think that programmes in Financial Mathematics, Mathematical Finance or whatever they are called can differ that much?

Furthermore, I would really like to know how much a C++ bad-ass one has to be in order to become an efficient and market attractive quant or quantitative structurer? If a quant has to know C++ by heart, wouldn't it be easier for financial institutions etc. to just hire pure programmers? (and for instance, have mathematicians on the side telling them how the math works...).[/quote]

What do you think is the main difference between the US- and the UK-programmes (except for the tuition-fees obviously)? Most of them seem to be covered in ~1 year, but what about the content? Do you think that programmes in Financial Mathematics, Mathematical Finance or whatever they are called can differ that much?

In general, the British programs will be more theory-driven, more abstract, and with less emphasis on programming. If you've had a British undergraduate education, you will have no problem.

Furthermore, I would really like to know how much a C++ bad-ass one has to be in order to become an efficient and market attractive quant or quantitative structurer? If a quant has to know C++ by heart, wouldn't it be easier for financial institutions etc. to just hire pure programmers? (and for instance, have mathematicians on the side telling them how the math works...).

There's demand for scientific programmers: people who can code fluently and efficiently but also know something about numerical methods and how to code them, and code various kinds of optimisation problems (for example). So you don't have to be a fantastic C++ programmer -- but you should be fluent in it and be able to translate financial mathematical problems into bug-free code smoothly. A pure programmer can't do this, and having a mathematician tell the programmer will be so inefficient, frustrating, and time-consuming it won't work. For example, the programmer will never understand how to code to find the numerical solutions to a PDE.

Back