• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Industrial Engineering -> MMF?

I'm wrapping up my third year of undergrad here at the University of Toronto. My undergrad is in Industrial Engineering with an Operations Research focus and I'm completing a business minor as well. I'm interested in a career change to a quant because I realized the career prospects (Supply Chain/Logistics/IT) for IE isn't really for me and I feel that my undergrad has a few overlaps with what's required of this program, but currently I'm not sure if the courses that I've taken will prepare me well if I choose to attend an MMF program (I'm currently looking at UofT's MMF program). My current cGPA is around 3.7 on a 4.0 scale, but I have done well in my previous quantitative courses (a few of the engineering communication and physics courses have dropped my GPA a fair amount).

In terms of math courses, here's what I've taken thus far:

• Calculus I/II
  • Differential Equations
  • Applied Linear Algebra (very introductory)
  • Probability
  • Statistics (Regression, ANOVA, Experimental Design, etc.. basic stuff)
  • Computer Simulation (used @Risk for Excel)
  • Deterministic Optimization (Linear Programming)
  • A split course on game theory and introduction to stochastic processes/queueing theory
  • Supply chain forecasting, statistical quality control
  • Numerical methods
In terms of programming I've taken three courses which dealt with C (I haven't used it since so I would say I don't know this anyone), Java and a little bit MATLAB respectively.

As you can see most of the math (statistics) courses that I've taken are more targeted towards a manufacturing setting, and not finance/risk. I would also tend to think my programming background is a bit weaker than the typical applicant, as I've seen through LinkedIn there are quite a few students that come from grad school backgrounds, in addition to the usual students who come from a Math/CS background.

My main question would be how disadvantaged would I be going into a MMF program with this background and how I can better prepare myself not only in terms of coursework, but other things that are considered in the application. I think it would be great if someone could share their story while in school for MMF in terms of workload and classes per month, etc.

Thanks.

Hi mkcomp,

I think you have a solid background. I am not at mmf but most of my waterloo fnds went to mmf while I went to Msfe in the States. From what I have heard its about the same curriculums.

Things I would say you might want to look at is stochastic process courses in statistics, more programming or modelling courses and some data analysis course.

Not sure if you want to stay in Canada for some reason, but if you are ok with studying in US, I strongly recommend Columbia MFE and Cornell MFE for you as they have operations research focus, rather than financial math (stochastic calculus etc).

Back