• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

is it just me or are internships scarce this year?

I go to a top 10 FE school and most of us (the ones without relevant experience, 90% of us) have yet to secure a phone interview from the big banks yet. is the interview process starting late this year? even the developer and risk jobs seem hard to get

I go to a top 10 FE school and most of us (the ones without relevant experience, 90% of us) have yet to secure a phone interview from the big banks yet. is the interview process starting late this year? even the developer and risk jobs seem hard to get
no. Interviews have been going for a while now. Good Luck! it seem you will need it.

PS - Been in the "top 10" program means nothing for a job.

top 10 program.. let me see. uh, uchicago? sorry, its not one of the 5 schools we go to recruit this year. wait, let me check... hmm, seems we never recruited from that school like ever...

top 10 program.. let me see. uh, uchicago? sorry, its not one of the 5 schools we go to recruit this year. wait, let me check... hmm, seems we never recruited from that school like ever...

Aren't you a market risk guy? It's a bit rich for the market risk team to go to only "top 5 schools" to hire and view all other schools including the "top 6th" with disdain...LOL. Maybe your sense of false elitism is coming from how your front office treats you folks in the market risk :D:D

The elitism and sheer callousness displayed on these forums is a fair indication of how bitter and frustrated most people are in finance these days. The kid is sharing a concern (which I believe is a tad premature) and the dissing follows instantly.

Aren't you a market risk guy? It's a bit rich for the market risk team to go to only "top 5 schools" to hire and view all other schools including the "top 6th" with disdain...LOL. Maybe your sense of false elitism is coming from how your front office treats you folks in the market risk :D:D

The elitism and sheer callousness displayed on these forums is a fair indication of how bitter and frustrated most people are in finance these days. The kid is sharing a concern (which I believe is a tad premature) and the dissing follows instantly.
ur reading comprehension is amazingly poor. im at corporate treasury funding the bank. i mainly spoke about sellside strats recruiting summer intern. it was never mentioned "top 5 school in ranking". we only recruit from top 5-7 schools in hr's list that historically yield the most satisfying candidates and ofc referrals from everybody. ur idiocy is beyond me.

im at corporate treasury funding the bank.

Haha....thanks for clarifying your soul stirring job description. My reading comprehension is fine. You may want to fix your atrocious punctuation and general writing skills. But most importantly try being a nice person (even on anonymous forums).

...The kid is sharing a concern (which I believe is a tad premature) ...
and that's the problem. The OP hasn't mentioned anything he/she has been doing to get that interview, just that he goes to a "Top 10 MFE Program". Big F..ing Deal!!! and from his post he is not the only one.

Check this forum. There is some dude around here, Joy, that was relentless until he found what he was looking for. Instead of whining, go on the hunt.

Haha....thanks for clarifying your soul stirring job description. My reading comprehension is fine. You may want to fix your atrocious punctuation and general writing skills. But most importantly try being a nice person (even on anonymous forums).
wat an idiot.

Do you happen to know anything (or even particularly care) about what companies look for when it comes to their supposedly lowly "developer and risk positions"?... or did you just think that being one of ten million people here with a fancy degree would automatically get you a job?

Last edited:
Check this forum. There is some dude around here, Joy, that was relentless until he found what he was looking for. Instead of whining, go on the hunt.

I don't think I have posted here in years but this made me smile. Joy Pathak is a legend amongst job seekers.

Regarding OP; going to a top school doesn't get you an internship or a job; networking does. Here is a pretty simplified approach I concocted to networking your way into a job:
3. Ask them for a coffee or phone call (be very clear you are not asking them for a job).
4. When you have their attention find out what technical skills their division uses/requires/respects. I imagine for risk management it would be: VBA, SQL, pricing financial derivatives, etc.
5. Learn those skills to a point where there is no question that would catch you off guard.
6. Tailor your resume AND LinkedIn profile to exaggerate those skills. Ask your friends to recommend you for those skills as well.

The Hard Part
Now you can either tap into the same friend pool or find others. Ask them to introduce you to other members in the division, preferably at a more senior level. I have introduced multiple students to Executive Directors at my old firm - they were more than happy to meet with the students I recommended to them.

When you get one of these short meetings abuse the hell out of them. Don't directly ask for a job but heavily imply that you are looking and look for ways during the conversation to demonstrate your skills you have been working on. Try to avoid showing off. There are many ways the conversation can end but more than once I have seen it end: "You know, I think XYZ is hiring and you would be a good fit. Let me set up a meeting..."

The pivotal point in job searching is when you realize that it requires a lot more work than just applying and waiting.

Good luck sir.

Last edited:
Back