• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

IT or Hedgefund?

Should I stay or should I go?

• Stay

• Go

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Quantnet,

New to the forum. I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering majoring in mechatronics, and found some temporary work while on the job hunt working odd jobs at an investment management companythat is really taking off.

Since then, I have registered for my CFA (might as well accrue those hours right?), and really want to get into the whole financial engineering scene, at the very least, maybe fintech stuff. Yet I have also received several job offers. One of them is a consultant position from this IT company, where they say Ill be working with stuff like Splunk, AppDynamics, etc and have dangled the promise of big data field stuff to me. Its all ITSM stuff.

But the investment company also likes me, and have made a similar offer, for a permanent position as an analyst. But they dont know yet when their algorithmic stuff will start (though i know someday it definitely will, but right now, I'm the only STEM graduate in all their offices). I know their M&A has been looking at fintech stuff too.

But so far all I have been doing is due diligence, research, light analysis, and sometimes some VBA and pdf document extraction, mostly with their legal division. But they say that will change if I take the analyst job, that I will be working with finance more, and that Ill be their go to once algo or fintech starts (which is still a massive 'someday' or 'some year' but is for sure happening).

So I guess my question is two fold; but both as a question of getting into financial engineering;

1) How much of the ITSM, Splunk stuff is useful towards improving my skills as a quantitative developer at least? Right now I have C, C++, Java, but no scripting experience. They tell me I will learn that at the consultant position too.

2) Should I take up the analyst position, improve my finance understanding etc, and wait for algo/quant/ or even fintech to open up? Or go do this ITSM stuff and generally expand my software abilities?

Not disclosing my country of residence I'm afraid for confidentiality reasons.

Back