• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Jane Street Research Internship Requirements

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but here goes! I have just finished semester abroad at a target university in London, but I am from a target Australian university and will be beginning third year (out of a 4 year honours course) of a maths/financial maths/statistics degree. I'm currently looking at places to intern in the Australian summer 2015/16 period (northern hemisphere winter 2015/16).

Would anyone have an idea of what is expected of a research intern at Jane Street? I have completed units in financial mathematics (Hull was the text we used), probability, statistical inference, and by the end of next year, units on stochastic processes and time series, measure theory, PDEs and analysis (real and complex, metric spaces). I will also be doing a project based course (hopefully on extensions of the BS model) in MatLab on scientific computing (ODEs and PDEs). I plan to begin the C++ certificate in January to get on track with OOP as soon as possible. In terms of other related reading, my plan is to work through the rest of Hull, A Primer of the Mathematics of Financial Engineering, Mark Joshi's first book and Baxter and Rennie's Financial Calculus.

Will this preparation be adequate in even getting a chance to interview with JS? Or are research internships mainly for people in MFEs?

(FYI I know JS doesn't have an Australian office - there are, apparently, 3 month internships available for Australian students in Hong Kong, with a 4 week placement in NYC, which would be an incredible experience!)

Thanks!

You plan sounds good. Hit those interview books in our master reading list. Knowing C++ inside out (as far as common C++ interview questions) is a big plus as well.
You probably get to work with huge amount of financial data, clean them, feed them into some engine so SQL/VBA would be helpful. That's where you can help. Don't expect to work on some next generation model or blue sky research.

Back