• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

linear interpolation:interest rates and discount factors

a relatively simple question here but can anyone tell me if there is any issue converting between interest rates and discount factors where one or the other has been derived using linear interpolation? I have an issue with putting interest rates and their equivalent discount factors side-by-side, interpolating between them and converting discount factors back to yields/rates. the error is relatively small but I am wondering if this is due to some convexity effect between the interest rates as opposed to the discount factors.
Thanks

a good place to start is to look up the several articles on yield curve construction by Pat Hagan and the late Graeme West.

The linear interpolation on log of the discount factor is popular. But the forward rates are not continuous.

These and other issues are discussed in "C# in Financial Markets" by Duffy and Germani 2013.

It's Friday :)

Daniel. Thanks for your reply. I am happy to purchase your book and have considered purchasing your book in the past as I have been looking for more quantitiative code outside of c++ . The only thing(s) that has made me reluctant are the poor reviews re coding samples and/or access. Obviously book reviews on the likes of Amazon are subjective but if there has been issues with code in the past have these been rectified and is the code from the book available for electronic purchasers of the book?

Last edited:
On QL and C++ see page 30 for a bunch of interpolators.

Attachments

• dima-ql-intro-2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
Back