• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Liquidity Risk Management v.s. Model Validation

I have 3 years of experience on credit analytics at a major financial institution, and recently got 2 offers on hand:
  1. Liquidity risk management at a brokerage firm, mostly churning reports, running stress testing models, implementing basel iii new ratios, and developing liquidity risk models, i.e. provide some analytical support to liquidity desk
  2. Model validation at a big bank, help validate credit related models and have access to all models in the bank
Neither is front office. I wish to eventually move to front office as a strategy or structuring type of role.

My academic background is quite quantitative. I aced some phd level math classes (probability theory, stochastic differential equation, and numerical methods) at a state university nearby during my current gig. I am good with C++, MATLAB, and VBA, but not good enough to write production code.

I lean towards liquidity risk, but the job is clearly not as quanty as I'd like. And it overemphasizes regulation. I'm a little worried those skill sets may not be transferrable to where I want to be. Model validation is definitely more quanty but more remote from the business. I can do an MFE later on to hopefully boost my chances. However, I'd prefer make to the front office without the expensive degree.

Hopefully somebody can enlighten me. Thanks.

Real Bruce Wayne

I've seen more people move from liquidity-based jobs to the front office than I have seen move from model validation. (Come to think of it, I can't name a single person who has made that move.)

Regarding the regulation comment: get used to it. It's here to stay and will be just as prevalent in model validation - or anything else for that matter.

I've seen more people move from liquidity-based jobs to the front office than I have seen move from model validation. (Come to think of it, I can't name a single person who has made that move.)

Regarding the regulation comment: get used to it. It's here to stay and will be just as prevalent in model validation - or anything else for that matter.
Thanks Ken. Looks like a no-brainer.

Back