• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Looking to sharpen my C++ skills, but no interest in MFE

Hello Quant Community,

I have no interest in pursuing the MEF degree nor any interest in working in the quant field. I have zero clue about it. I come from the gaming industry and am looking for a serious course to level up my rusty C++ skills. This is because my company is switching from C# to C++ to build a custom game engine and tools. I have heard a lot of good reviews about the QN C++ course, but I am not sure if it is going to benefit me since I have no interest in MEF degree!

I would appreciate any insights or feedback

Thank you,

Hey Mohammed,
We have plenty of people taking the C++ courses for non-finance purposes. They work in different industries where C++ is playing a crucial role. AI/Tech/Learning Machine, etc.
You will get a very solid foundation in the first C++ course and then really go to the next level with the advanced C++. I'm pretty sure the investment you make for these 2 courses will pay dividends many times over during the course of your job.
Here is one recent example from someone who took what he learned from our C++ course to save his tech employer millions of dollars.

Hey Mohammed,
We have plenty of people taking the C++ courses for non-finance purposes. They work in different industries where C++ is playing a crucial role. AI/Tech/Learning Machine, etc.
You will get a very solid foundation in the first C++ course and then really go to the next level with the advanced C++. I'm pretty sure the investment you make for these 2 courses will pay dividends many times over during the course of your job.
Here is one recent example from someone who took what he learned from our C++ course to save his tech employer millions of dollars.

Thank you for your input. The scary part is the last section of the C++ course about computational finance, titled 'Part VI: Creating Applications in Computational Finance.' Can it be bypassed or avoided? It seems to involve heavy quantitative mathematics!?

And to further answer your question, the course is basically teaching you C++ from the ground up with one last level where you see how they all come together and be applied in finance.
It does not require any heavy math background or finance background. You are provided all the ingredients to build the product using all the training so far.
If you have some idea on what kind of project you want to work on, our TA can work with you. My experience is that if you reach that stage, the hardest part is over. You just then enjoy the fruit of your labor and see how everything comes together.

Back