• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Majors - CS/Applied Maths vs CS/Finance, others

Pat

Hello,

I am just finishing up my A.A.S in Computer Science (GPA 3.9, if that matters at the associates level), and planning to go onto a local university (NJIT). They offer a multitude of hybrid dual Bachelor of Science programs including CS, CS & Applied Maths, CS & Applied Physics, CS with a Finance (5 courses) specialty, a Maths of Finance and Actuarial Science major, a Computing & Business program, all within the Math and CS departments. There's also a BS in Business under the business school with both Finance and Management Info Systems as options.

I'm learning personally toward the CS/Applied Maths program - and I think I can still take the CS Finance 'specialty' with that, thought that may be really piling on the credits (I have a ton of credits to transfer in, mostly cs, some math, some business). I am 25 already - my professional background is in IT (tech support, pc repair, server upgrades, that sort of thing) at the small buisness level. If I wanted to continue in my current area, the MIS or Computing and Business would probably be the best option - but I don't. I'm not 100% sure I want to wind up in the financial world, but I'd like to keep that open as an option for grad school and beyond.

If I do just CS or CS/Applied Math would I be hurting myself by not having enough finance background? Would trying to finish a whole Business degree in addition to a CS degree even be that helpful? Does anyone know anything about NJIT?

Thank you.

Hi Pat,

I'm in a similar situation as you, getting my associates in business though then going to transfer to a university in to focus in both Applied Mathematics and Finance. For a fact I know I enjoy the finance/equity/derivative enviornment so that was already a given that I would focus in that field. Applied Mathematics I decided to be an additional focus because I've grown to appreciate the strong connection of math and finance and realize they go hand in hand. As for C.S I might minor in it and while I enjoy the mental satisfaction of writing out hundreds of lines of codes and having it run flawlessly, I'm not so sure I would want to make it a major academic focus relative to the other two fields. However, with that said I'm spending my own free time whenever I can learning C++ and programming dynamics. In the end this will save me money and can spend my academic time on two areas I know I want to implement in a career.

So you might want to consider doing finance outside of your academics at first to see if you really want to persue a career in finance. Grab some books (the site has a good selection of reading in the books section) and read and go online and research. I can't tell you to major in this or that, ultimately it's you choice. Also remember that just because you enter a four year school doesn't mean you can't add an additional degree once you get. I just had a friend switch from finance to actuarial science as a junior.

While I'm not in a masters program and can't give you advice from that perspective, I hope this is of some help.

Back