• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Market Risk and Career Possibilties

Hello all,

I recently received an offer from a large bank for a Market Risk SA position.
I'm an undergrad, going into my final year, and I wanted to ask what are some possible career paths? I would imagine progressing within Market Risk would be difficult without pursuing an advanced degree. I do find Market Risk interesting mostly because I enjoy learning and looking at derivatives, which goes to say I'm also interested in trading derivatives. There seems to be mixed views about transitioning from Market Risk to Trading.
My questions are
1) How is progressing within Market Risk with just a bachelor's degree?
2) Transitioning to Trading?
3) What are some other long term career options for somebody starting out in Market Risk?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
1) Once you're there, how you do your job should be more important than what degrees you have.
2) Not easy. Your best bet would be to form a personal relationship with traders on one of the desks you cover. But this is not a regular path to trading and it will be challenging.
3) More senior in market risk?

1) degree is irrelevant
2) market risk -> some sort of close assistant of traders -> trader
3) more market risk, different market risk, quit...

1) degree is irrelevant
2) market risk -> some sort of close assistant of traders -> trader
3) more market risk, different market risk, quit...
1) Most peeple have at graduate degrees. The math required goes beyond that of most undergrad degrees,
2) The barrier used to be semi-permeable. It is less so now, after UBS, Soc Gen, etc.
3) Audit, consulting, fund management

Thank you for your answers.
I really liked the people that I met and the firm so I decided to accept the offer.
I'm considering pursuing MFE(target school) because it turns out I can do it in just one extra semester because I have few credits left for senior year.
However, I'm afraid that I won't have many options in the future in case I would want to go back to grad school for a career change.
Do you think it is a good idea to pursue the MFE now for a long term career in Market Risk(if i like my summer experience) and also giving a chance at pursuing a Trading internship?

James

Back