• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mathematics vs Applied Mathematics for Undergraduate degree

Hello, I am a college sophomore thinking over what I want to study in order to have the best shot at getting into a top tier MFE program.

I'll keep things brief, basically I am at a point right now where it would not hurt me to switch majors and I am trying to decide whether straight Math or Applied Math would be the best option for me. I am doing a computer science minor and have a good amount of prior experience programming.

I am currently declared as a Applied Math major, at our school this major basically entails taking basic math classes as prereqs (Calc 1, 2, 3, Diffeq, linear algebra, proofs, and analysis) then you enter the program your junior year and from that point it gets a lot more rigorous where you take two 3 credit hour theoretical classes coupled with two 1 hour labs (should be more like 3 or 4 credit hours, but due to Math department regulations they can only make us take 8 credit hours a semester of major classes... it's weird) which is basically applying the theory to solve real problems like making facial recognition software or natural language processing using python.

It's a super cool major and I am leaning more towards that, but I wanted you guys to weigh in on the pros of switching to straight math: my big thing is that the math major is way less credits. In Applied Math the major is 70 credits and Math is 53.5 credits of required classes, this would give me room to take finance classes, possibly getting a finance minor as well as more of the higher level math classes that might be more relevant to quant finance, like the Mathematical Finance class. It would also allow me to take the CFA class offered by the Finance Department which actually reimburses you if you pass, I've heard that getting a CFA level 1 can be huge for getting into a MFE program.

what school r u at? if ur school is decent, u should shoot for a quant job rite after undergrad. if not, then a pricey mfe may help...

It would also allow me to take the CFA class offered by the Finance Department which actually reimburses you if you pass, I've heard that getting a CFA level 1 can be huge for getting into a MFE program.
It's not huge. More like hugely useless, if you have any experience.

Edit: Alright, I went through the syllabus, it's not as crappy as I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Back