• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MFE in Math vs. Stat @ Purdue

Does anybody know about the difference between the CF Master program in Math and Stat dept. at Purdue? It seems that they are quite related to each other, but the one in Math dept has wider choice of course work.

Thanks.

I'm going to join the program in a few weeks, Math-side. Since I'm new I can't say anything with authority for now, although the impression I get is that both routes are viable options and there is a good deal of overlap, so you should be able to get more or less the same education either way.

If you get in to both with funding, just follow your heart and pick the department you like more. If for some reason you're unfunded and still want to go, then go with the Stat department, as you'll probably get more applied experience (e.g. SAS/R) that way. Also, when I visited the departments a few months ago, I got the impression that the Stats professors were more involved in the program than the Math profs.

I'm going to join the program in a few weeks, Math-side. Since I'm new I can't say anything with authority for now, although the impression I get is that both routes are viable options and there is a good deal of overlap, so you should be able to get more or less the same education either way.

If you get in to both with funding, just follow your heart and pick the department you like more. If for some reason you're unfunded and still want to go, then go with the Stat department, as you'll probably get more applied experience (e.g. SAS/R) that way. Also, when I visited the departments a few months ago, I got the impression that the Stats professors were more involved in the program than the Math profs.
Thanks, man! Good luck with your program, and see you soon on campus!!

Which program has a dedicated career services for students?

Again, my guess would be Stats, but I'll have to let you know what I determine as the story unfolds over the next few years.

On thing I can say is that there is a Quantitative Finance club at Purdue. One of their projects involves contacting alums of the CF programs to see where they are now and to work on establishing a network. Although I honestly have no idea how well this project is moving along, as their website hasn't been updated in a long time. A current professor told me they were still active, though; even if they're not, I think the idea could be revived by current students.

There are also several IE and business school professors involved in the program--likely related to the third route, the MBA with CF specialization--and they might be even better connected to career resources.

I'd really like to know more about the OP's background, to see what he's learned that I might not have. Especially if he's in Stats, since I know little about their experience, having talked only with Math grad students. Also, for what it's worth, I just noticed that the title of this thread is misleading: although there are three CF tracks at Purdue, none of them is an MFE. There are two MS degrees with specialization and one MBA, but no MFE.

Again, my guess would be Stats, but I'll have to let you know what I determine as the story unfolds over the next few years.

On thing I can say is that there is a Quantitative Finance club at Purdue. One of their projects involves contacting alums of the CF programs to see where they are now and to work on establishing a network. Although I honestly have no idea how well this project is moving along, as their website hasn't been updated in a long time. A current professor told me they were still active, though; even if they're not, I think the idea could be revived by current students.

There are also several IE and business school professors involved in the program--likely related to the third route, the MBA with CF specialization--and they might be even better connected to career resources.

I'd really like to know more about the OP's background, to see what he's learned that I might not have. Especially if he's in Stats, since I know little about their experience, having talked only with Math grad students. Also, for what it's worth, I just noticed that the title of this thread is misleading: although there are three CF tracks at Purdue, none of them is an MFE. There are two MS degrees with specialization and one MBA, but no MFE.

Hi, Ergodic,

Actually I know very little about the program. I am currently a Ph.D. student in Computer Engineering, and thinking about taking a dual MS degree in Stat or Math. Now I have taken some shared courses (required by my PhD program) and am wondering whether to continue with Stat or Math path. I know a strong guy finishing his Ph.D. with a Stat CF MS in four years and now joining a quant software company in NYC. He just recommended some of his favorite courses.

I will let you know more after I talk with professors.

And thanks to Andy's point!

Hi, Ergodic,
I know a strong guy finishing his Ph.D. with a Stat CF MS in four years and now joining a quant software company in NYC.

From Purdue, eh? Nice. So I guess there is hope for those of us who will finish the program wondering how to overcome the networking disadvantage of attending a program in the middle of nowhere.

Given your background, then, I'd definitely advise you to take the Stat route. Unless, of course, you have a burning desire to take some serious real analysis, measure-theoretic probability, and abstract Linear Algebra.

Back