• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE or MBA or Masters in Data Analytics

I know I am re-posting it, but dint get reply on my first thread:

Let me tell something about my background first:
Indian, 23 years old.
B.tech (2012) - Electronics and Communication Engineering from a reputed college in India with cgpa 9.23/10 (absolute).
Did both major and minor projects in MATLAB in final year.

Interned in an investment bank - got PPO - with the same bank for last 2 years 2 months as a software developer (JAVA)

Recently cleared CFA Level 2 examination- June 2014
Going to give CFA Level 3 examination next June.
Currently working in a project related to R Language.

Planning to give GMAT this October.
And now I am confused what should I do next:
should I go for MBA?
should I go for MFE or any other quant finance course, given that I have my hands on programming languages?
should I go for any data analytics course, given that I'll get to learn about data mining and all and with my CFA certification course (given that I pass next year), I might be able to get a job as data analyst in finance industry?

Don't want to be a trader, to start with...
Looking for roles as quant analyst, financial data analyst etc. in IBs or HFs or PE Firms and all..
A role where I can use my technology + finance skills...

if you are gonna be in technology, MFE might be the best fit.

You can compare the core courses between MBA and MFE and figure out what skills sets are required to X job. If you are gonna do anything with stochastic calculus, NO MBA is gonna teach you that.

Check out Baruch's MFE program. They have some courses in big data as well.
Find out what the graduates of specific programs are upto? MFE or MBA? You could then have some realistic expectation.

If you are gonna do anything with stochastic calculus, NO MBA is gonna teach you that.
I second that - I've worked with MBA finance and quant finance and the difference is vast. MBA stuff is more business and cashflow analysis, while MFE would tie in with more hard core maths and related industries like data analysis.

Best thing is to read through course prospectuses and even try sample problems from courses rather than listen to too many advisors - many people in finance don't understand the differences between MBA stuff (loans & equity) and stochastic processes or derivatives.

Thanks all.. I have made up my mind... it's MFE ... now need some help.. with the information given above, I have got one more thing to add.. my GMAT Score.. 710 (q50 v35).. do I have any chance of getting into a decent mfe program?

Back