• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

[MFE] Theoretically Best Plausible Application Package/Profile for Fresh Undergrad Student

I did some research, read the quant guide and such and was wondering, theoretically, if a fresh soon to graduate college student (but no related professional work experience) wants to apply for MFE, what is the best doable profile to have at the time of applying to be admitted to top MFE programs? And again, theoretically speaking. I just want to know if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

So here's what I came up with (numbered in random order):
1. GPA: 3.7+ from US school.
2. Major: Applied Math (fulfills all the math and statistics requirement by top MFE programs)
plus: self taught more advanced financial math (i.e. A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering, 2nd Ed - Dan Stefanica)
3. GRE: 160+ Verbal, 170 Math, 4+ AWA
4. Get the C++ Certification with distinction here at Quantnet; experienced in Matlab (took numerical analysis with A)
5. 3 Great recommendation letters from professors who REALLY know you well.

6. Solid knowledge of the financial industry by being an avid reader, say at least, following the recommended books on Quantnet(this is probably the hardest to achieve and most time consuming, can you say this in your application? That you have read many books on the subject? I suppose you could incorporate this in the essay or SoP, but the word limit holds you back though?)

For a no professional work experience fresh undergrad, I suppose this is probably the best way to compensate for the lack of work exp. Thus, in this way, reading will also facilitate the applicant to write the essays/statement of purpose and be prepared for any interview questions regarding the financial industry.

7. Excellent communication skills developed working as TA and Tutor (large room presentation style)

This may seem naive to others but to me, this seems like something doable and it's the best I could come up with and probably achieve in the short run. I guess the catch is to persevere...

Thanks for reading.

Maybe Minor or Double Major in Econ/Finance to show interest in the field. CFA(L1 or maybe even L2) can also be an indicator but there seems to be some debate about the output to input ratio of getting it.
Having some related interns during breaks will also help make your profile stronger.

Back