• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT MFIN vs CU MSFE

Which program is a better fit? Please...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a fourth-year civil engineering student from Canada.
I got admitted to the master of finance program at MIT(12-month, kind of sad but life cannot give you everything) and the MSFE program at Columbia University.
I have been to both New York City and Boston. I love Boston way more than New York. I am from Vancouver, and I really appreciate the quietness and the sense of community.
After graduation, I want to work on global development, project management and resource allocation on infrastructure projects. I feel like that the MIT program is a better fit for me.
I can do some programming, but I prefer talking to people. I get talkative sometimes.
But most of my friends recommend the MSFE program from Columbia. According to them, it is a better program(I guess, for quant analyst?) Also, it seems that Columbia has a unparalleled placement record.

After graduation, I want to work on global development, project management and resource allocation on infrastructure projects. I feel like that the MIT program is a better fit for me.

Seems like MIT would be a better fit if you're aiming to do something less quantitatively heavy after graduation. MIT's curriculum is more broad, kind of like a CFA program, and may be better suited to the more varied nature of the work you're interested in. Columbia's is way more focused on quant skills and placing quant positions. I also think MIT's program would have more clubs and courses focused on emerging markets, which would go along with your interest in global development.

Seems like MIT would be a better fit if you're aiming to do something less quantitatively heavy after graduation. MIT's curriculum is more broad, kind of like a CFA program, and may be better suited to the more varied nature of the work you're interested in. Columbia's is way more focused on quant skills and placing quant positions. I also think MIT's program would have more clubs and courses focused on emerging markets, which would go along with your interest in global development.
Yes. That's exactly what I am thinking. I am trying to get in touch with MFin students at MIT, and talk to my professors.

I am a fourth-year civil engineering student from Canada.
I got admitted to the master of finance program at MIT(12-month, kind of sad but life cannot give you everything) and the MSFE program at Columbia University.
I have been to both New York City and Boston. I love Boston way more than New York. I am from Vancouver, and I really appreciate the quietness and the sense of community.
I can do some programming, but I prefer talking to people. I get talkative sometimes.
But most of my friends recommend the MSFE program from Columbia. According to them, it is a better program(I guess, for quant analyst?) Also, it seems that Columbia has a unparalleled placement record.

Where did you end up going?

Back