• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSF/MFE

Hi Guys,

I've been reading around this forum for a few weeks, since I've been undergoing some career changes the last couple months. I was wondering anyone could give me some input on what they think in terms of target schools and good programs for me to apply to? I'm currently studying for GMAT and plan to take it in February.

Here's my stats.
GMAT: trying to get 650-700.
GPA: 3.213, trying to move to 3.3-3.4 in 3 semesters
Degrees: Indiana University, Bloomington. B.A. Mathematics & Economics, B.M. Violin Performance, Class of 2014.
I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'm also a female/Asian. I noticed class profiles were around 20-30% women.

I plan on working in risk management rather than S&T, or I-banking, I was wondering what target schools I should go for? I'm unsure of the difference between MFE and MSF, which would be more useful? I can't find any rankings for MSF (or official published ones). I'm trying to go straight into MSF/MFE out of undergrad, and from my understanding risk management/insurance firms are centered around Chicago quite a lot.

Any input would be extremely helpful, please let me know! I've been really confused.

Ruey

Programs discussed on QuantNet are mostly exclusively math/quant/FE, less so for the generic MSF/MBA type. In case you are unsure which type of degree is better fit for you, I invite you to read one of the articles in our QuantNet Guide which answers this very question.

Risk management demand is growing. Many financial institutions are hiring. A sample list of firms that MFE grads end up working at can be found here

Here is a sample day in the life of a market risk analyst https://www.quantnet.com/threads/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-market-risk-analyst.10592/

Thanks for the replies!

I looked at the rankings before, but I wasn't sure what schools would be a good fit for a student with my profile. I figured timeline wise it would be most effective for me to go straight into graduate school, since moving out of the college area, then to work, then to another school, then back to work would be extremely exhausting.

Are the rankings more important than the location of the school? I felt the biggest problem I had with IU was that internships aren't easily obtained since the location doesn't have as many opportunities as opposed to a school in the city. I'm currently looking for internships with insurance companies in Chicago for the summer since it's not very far away from IU, my plan is to intern as much as possible before I finish school.

I understand risk managers have a hectic schedule, I don't really know how competitive the field is? Among all my friends and people I know, I'm the only person who is interested in becoming a risk manager..

Hi Andy, I am applying to BU, UofC and UCLA(waiting for their link for the Nov 2013 Session). I am looking to direct my career towards Risk Management.
It would be great if you could put me in touch with any student who is currently pursuing his Maters in one of the above schools.

Hi Andy, I am applying to BU, UofC and UCLA(waiting for their link for the Nov 2013 Session). I am looking to direct my career towards Risk Management.
It would be great if you could put me in touch with any student who is currently pursuing his Maters in one of the above schools.
Best way would be to find them via the Tracker to see who got admitted and said they will go there. Use LinkedIn as well.

Back