• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet forum software

Are you mainly using Quantnet via your laptop i.e desktop browser or mobile phone? Can't you just check the "Remember me" box and never have to log in again?
What would you do if a new thread has 20 new posts? Do you want to just read the latest post without looking at the other 19 answers for example? (just trying to read the mind of my members here)

And if you are keep to see latest on top, have you checked out this
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/recent-activity/
You also have a news feed that you can set up and check frequently http://www.quantnet.com/forum/account/news-feed
You can watch a thread/forum and have that news feed showing you the latest item on top.

I go on QN from:

Laptop - windows
Laptop - linux - I try not to keep any cookies on here and log in every time to everything. I don't know why...
each of the three Bloombergs in the QL (depending on which one I'm on), which means I have to log in every time there. I've also noticed the top of the page css breaks on these.
cell phone - on which the "remember me" buttons tend to not work I've noticed, the one on here def. doesn't. Thankfully I can remember passwords on there... top of forum css is also broken on it. I use opera mobile as a browser on my cell phone (it compresses data which means websites load faster)

I am what I consider a "casual user". I don't have time to follow up on what everyone says in the thread, so typically I automatically assume the last 2-3 posts are the only things relevant and go for those. If a thread has 20 meaningful posts (i.e. a paragraph each) I'll start from the last post, and try to work my way to a meaningful beginning (usually 2-3 posts deep consequently), then comment. So really I, the casual user, only care about the last 2-3 opinions on the thread. I'll also usually go to the very beginning of a thread and see what the thread starting post is about.

I can see how the current view would benefit the "dedicated" user (i.e. Tsotne) who tries to read every post in order and comment on everything, and would cause him to post more, but I think (just an intuition) I post less on the new QN because it has become more of a pain...

When use public computer, of course, it's NOT a good idea not to use "Remember me".
I remember the issue with the browser on QL I used the other day. But it was IE8 and Firefox was fine.

Can you check the resolution of the screen on those computers and see if you can give me a screenshot of that (Firefox or IE)?
Mobile: we're working on iPhone/Android app and will have a mobile skin so the wait is not too long now.

No noticeable changes, at least for me, in the updated app.
According to the change log
What's in this version:
  1. Improved memory handling of thumbnails and images in the Gallery view
  2. Updated thread view to be constant with the iPhone app - tap the header of a
  3. post to bring up a menu of commands for that post (quote, edit, report, like/unlike, select, etc)
  4. Add "Like" support for XenForo
  5. Add "Report" support
We are also beta testing Tapatalk so if you can get a free version of that app, it would be nice to compare these 2 apps side by side. We will make a decision of which version to go based on your input so please keep them coming. Thanks

According to the change log
What's in this version:
  1. Improved memory handling of thumbnails and images in the Gallery view
  2. Updated thread view to be constant with the iPhone app - tap the header of a
  3. post to bring up a menu of commands for that post (quote, edit, report, like/unlike, select, etc)
  4. Add "Like" support for XenForo
  5. Add "Report" support
We are also beta testing Tapatalk so if you can get a free version of that app, it would be nice to compare these 2 apps side by side. We will make a decision of which version to go based on your input so please keep them coming. Thanks
Will try to juggle beta testing with my heavy workload :cool:

Do you have a link for a free version of this App? I can only find the full version in the Android market.

Hi Andy. @Andy Nguyen

I think there is some problem with Alert. I need to open a thread where I've been tagged or my phrase has been quoted and only then I see the Alert notification not before. Browser problem again? I'm on opera 11.0

I think there is some problem with Alert. I need to open a thread where I've been tagged or my phrase has been quoted and only then I see the Alert notification not before. Browser problem again? I'm on opera 11.0
Testing. I believe it has something to do with the sequence of your action. If you go to a thread before giving the alert system a chance to notify you, you won't see it.
To test, just stay on forum home, and refresh it, if someone quote you, you will see an alert. You HAVE to do some action (click on a thread) for the alert system to activate. It does not work on the background and pop up on itself.

Testing. I believe it has something to do with the sequence of your action. If you go to a thread before giving the alert system a chance to notify you, you won't see it.
To test, just stay on forum home, and refresh it, if someone quote you, you will see an alert. You HAVE to do some action (click on a thread) for the alert system to activate. It does not work on the background and pop up on itself.

Yes I understand how it works. Unless I do "something" it is waiting for a list to be refreshed to recognize I have been alerted. Doing something manually triggers recognition. So I checked it like this: When I saw your answer had been posted on this thread, I manually refreshed the list. Seems I have some other problem. I'll change the browser. Moving to Firefox. ;) Thanks

andy, editing a post with long links breaks the thing that makes links shorter

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/best-programming-language-for-finance.1847/page-3#post-51333
Actually, I edited that post to shorten them. You appear to copy and paste the full url (long an ugly from Dice) to the WYSIWYG editor. A nicer way to do it is to use the format
C++:
[URL='http://long-url-here']text here[/URL]

First type some text, then highlight it and use hyperlink button to add link.

@Andy Nguyen
When someone is going through multiple "new threads", we have to press "What's new" and then select the next thread everytime.
Wouldn't be useful to have a "previous unread thread" and "next unread thread"?

I cannot copy the name of someone I'm willing to tag in a thread. Why has it been disabled...Is typing the long names the only option?

Back